Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 1/3/03
Mar 02, 2003, 11:37
Hiya welcome to another Soundtrax

A heavy work load over the last week has severely limited any real opportunities for meaningful musical listening barring anything I have got thru on the long car journeys to and from Avebury last weekend and to Newcastle this weekend. Apart from that any homebound listneing has been restricted to a quick once over to some of the deluge of discs and tapes which have winged their way to me recently.

Anyway here goes
Homebound listening first methinks : -
XTC – The Singles 1977 to 1992 and Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come both courtesy of AHAB
Van Der Graff Generator – The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other – courtesy of Scotty too Hotty
The Budists – James Taylor Quartet funk offering sent over by Joudicca

Car Journey music
The Edgar Broughton Band – Inside Out and Ten Years After – Rock and Roll Music Too The World – again courtesy of AHAB
A self assembled Hawkwind MD and a Copey compilation of material fro Peggy Suicide onwards.
Finally Black Sabbath – Masters of Reality
And that’s me
Over to you lot

Joolio
Still Raining, Still Dreaming
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 1/3/03
Mar 02, 2003, 12:13
Nurse With Wound - Everything I own by them... I've been putting together a kind of 'introduction to NWW' (if such a thing is really possible) for a friend.

Black Light District - A thousand lights...

Ash Ra Tempel - Live Berlin 1971

Waldteufel - Heimliches Deutschland

Synus - Synusrythum

Monoshock - Walk to the Fire

Comets on Fire - Field Recordings from the Sun

J. A. Seazer - Jasumon

Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
along with a whole load of other Southern Lord / doom metal stuff.

Brain Donor - Too Freud...

Also spent the last couple of days reappraised my Skam / Toytronic / Mo-Wax / Warp etc. vinyl collection after finding out it was worth way more than I had realised - money's pretty tight for me at the moment, so visions of a new Mac flashed through my brain. I soon realised that I still really love all this stuff, especially Boards of Canada, and decided I'd rather have the records than the money.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 12:31
Hope you had a good birthday Joolio. Quite a lot this week 'cos did swapsies with mate's who 'have the technology'

So..

Royksopp - Melody AM. On now in fact for that perfect easing into Sunday Feeling. Low key grooves n pleasant head probings

Brain Donor - Too Freud, Too Jung etc....Now lodging itself firmly in the brain.

Nebula - Dos E.p's. Fabulous stoner/psyche rock from masterful three piece

Eternal Elysium - Spiritualized D. Total by chance bargain bin discovery of ace Jap Rock stoner merchants. Really chuffed with this gem

Chains & Black Exhaust - Believe the words of thee mighty Sethman. Fuzz funk and righteous groovement obscurities had me juiced up. Buy the purple Cadillac and go!

Wishbone Ash - No Smoke Without Fire. Courtesy of Oxfam. Nice melodic twin guitar stuff from when they still tinged things with a bit of folk/prog.

Ian O'Brien - Gigantic Days. Is it electronica? Is it nu-jazz? Is it ambient? Dunno but it's good!

Herbie Hancock - Fat Albert Rotunda. £2.99 in HMV as I type! Superb 1969 jazzy funk preludes to the Headhunters period. Loads of super smooth electric piano stuff that makes you wanna lie back and go "Heyyyyyyyyyyy"

The D4 - 6Twenty. £5.99 in HMV now! (Don't work for HMV by the way. Just being a public servant) Cool stripped down Oz rock n roll. Like The Datsuns but less metal more garagey.

Rival Schools-United By Fate £1.99 in...etc! Melodic angst rock (emo p'raps?). Kind of life's cruel but this is a nice guitar bit! A grower. Incidentally, it got me wondering; is antipodean Emo called Emu?

KISS - Rock n Roll Over. Huge crunching dumb metal n' roll from the face paint period. One of my first and fave KISS albums. "Calling Dr Love" Not 'arf.

Amused By Genitals - I Got My Head Stuck In A Pant Vending Machine In Tokyo.

Trans Global Underground - Dream of 100 Nations. Dance/world hybrid by pioneers of that sort of thing

Suv - Desert Rose. Still diggin' this lush latin textured drum n bass thang from Roni Size cohort.

Disco-Drum n Bass - Really got into this. Fab booty shaking rumbles and fumbles for dance floor calamity. A great getting ready to go out album.

Idlewild - The Remote Part. Scottish indie kids really show their Smiths/REM colours on this. Some very instant tunes on it.

The Distillers - Sing Sing Death House. Shouty crashy punk n roll. Wakes you up good n proper.

Death in Vegas - Scorpio Rising. Sinister downbeats and breaks. Not as intense as The Contino Sessions but some lovely atmospheres created by the Indian String arrangements on some of the tracks.

Death in Vegas - Dead Elvis. Much better than I had remembered debut from DIV. A definite grower compared to the more instant menace of the Contino Sessions.

That's me done. Have a nice week folklings
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: your valuable stuff
Mar 02, 2003, 12:36
I really admire your thing about wanting to have the music over the money IronMan. I can definitely relate. If money is tight though is there maybe a way you could stick a lot of the stuff on CD via naughty copying technology, so you could have the tunes AND the cash? I am told it can be done.

Having said that...hard letting records go innit?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 12:45
Kinks - The Marble Arch Years
Cope - Rite 1
David Coverdale - Northwinds
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
John Coltrane & Don Cherry - The Avant Garde
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Cinerama - This Is Cinerama
Caravan - Cunning Stunts and Ether Way
Gong - Other Side Of The Sky comp
Grateful Dead- Dick's Picks 2 and 16
Kevin Ayers - Sweet Deceiver

No mini-reviews because I'm feeling very low this weekend and to be honest, I ain't up to it.

Hope you're all okay

DW
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 13:31
I read somewhere that 's CDr's have a shelf-life of approximately 10 years, after which they will begin to deteriorate. Don't know if this is scaremongering, but it's worth considering when letting go of parts of your vinyl collection.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 14:01
Lovely Spring sunshine here in the middle of Britain...

Had a busy week's worth of listening. Not been into work and spent the week painting and walking...

The Stooges 'Fun House' - Got this from the library to fill in the gap waiting for 'Too Freud...' to arrive. Sweet memories of an album I've never owned.

KISS 'Double Platinum' - Library. The last time I would have heard this would have been in 1980! Quite tame, really.

Tanya Donelly 'Love Songs for Underdogs'
Belly 'Star'
Throwing Muses 'The Real Ramona'
The Breeders 'Pod'
- Having a Tanya thang going on!!! Bit disappointed with 'Pod', nothing really memorable on it; perhaps that's why I haven't played it in such a long time. I'll look forward to the new Muses album where she contributes some backing vocals apparently!

The Mekons 'The Curse of...' - Excellent country/folk/rock for listening to while driving through the English towns and countryside.

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros ' Rock Art and the X-Ray Style' - Excellent folk/country/rock for lis...

Violent Femmes 'Violent Femmes' - Great!

Neu! 'Neu! 75' - This helps clear the mind. Soothing music.

Spiritualized 'Let It Come Down' - Again, something you can completely lose yourself in. The outside world disappears.

Mr Scruff 'Trouser Jazz' - A little too jazzy for my mood, on accasion.

Global Goon 'Vatican Nitez' - A new one for me. Found it very calming.

Kraftwerk 'Electric Cafe' - From the library. Utter bollocks! Not heard it before, and won't be listening to it again!

Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' - From the library. A recording from 1974, and my second introduction to Kraftwerk after 'Radioactivity' which I think was released after it! Nice.

Brain Donor 'Too Freud...'
JC 'Jehovahkill'
Lovely!

Morrisey 'The Best of...' - From the library, so I could investigate Mary Margaret O'Hara's contribution to 'November Spawned A Monster'. She's uncredited, but has a 10 second warble in the middle. Won't miss not hearing this again, though I do like 'Suedehead' (Anyone remember the suedehead/skinhead books? Nasty things. Who wrote them?)

Faust 'Tapes' - Great except for the saxophone. A pet hate of mine is a saxophone used to make noise by someone who can't play it. You wouldn't do it with a fucking violin 'cos you know it'd sound shit. Well, it sounds shit with a saxaphone too!

Liars/Oneida 'Atheists, Reconsider' - Brilliant. Inventive. Reminds me of hearing Pere Ubu for the first time (though neither sound like them!)

Right now, I'm listening to aqk's Texan Chainsaw Masochist's 'All About Motorbikes'/'Tabloid Nazis' and a band I know nothing about called Gasoline he stuck on a CD for me one time. Rawk and Rawl!
Beebon
1375 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 15:06
02/03/03

Yo!

Well main album on my playlist this week has been Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. I've liked this album since i first heard it, though i've always played Closer more regularly. This one is great, despite the heavyish productioness on it. Shadowplay has becomes one of my favorite ever songs i think!

Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier than a Death in the Family: Before this, all i had heard was some studio and some soundboard recordings which were really good, yet pretty poor quality, though that aint the case for this previous album of the month. Sound is better and it sounds like the whole band are really letting go, full of super intense guitar riffing/soloing/noise with almost totally contrasting bass-lines, i think this will grow on me some more yet :-)

Live 77: by same band as above, feel much the same for that one too! :)

Mojo "Up yours! Punks not Dead!" cover CD thingy :)

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation...

Fog - Fog: Hmmm this is ok, though maybe it needs time to grow on me or simply i wasnt in the mood.

PiL - Metal Box

Anyways, i'm just gonna recover from me bike ride, have a nice week dudes!

Steve :)
Beebon
1375 posts

also........
Mar 02, 2003, 15:55
Bob Dylan - Live 1966:
Only £5.99 when i was in london.... saw it for £23.99 when i was in truro yesterday!
:-)
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 18:02
Yeah, I know what your saying MC, I've been contemplating doing the CD route, but it's just not the same as having the original vinyl. I'm sticking with the decision to keep onto it all, and I'll just have to try and land a few decent contracts to get a new Mac, it's as simple as that. I'm certainly not gonna be going on Netsounds checking out any of my other stuff though.

What gets me is the idea that someone would pay £150.00 for a record that was selling for a tenner about five years ago? I certainly wouldn't pay that much, and that leads me to think that the kind of person who would isn't the kind of person I want to sell my records to. If that makes sense.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index