Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 8/2/03

39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

I remembered! at last...
Feb 11, 2003, 23:05
Misty in Roots - Chronicles (the best of)
Wondrous righteous reggae. This lot were by far and away the best live reggae band I’ve seen who (mostly) originate from these shores, or were at least based here. I saw a whole bunch of amazing reggae bands in the lates 70s and early eighties, including Prince Far I, Culture, Peter Tosh, Horace Andy, Aswad and stack of others, but Misty were always special. Deep, rootsie vibes, and tons and tons of dubby fabness. This CD is a pure nostalgia trip…light up, step up!

Youssou N’dour - the Guide
one of Suzie Squid’s few CDs, and I haven’t heard it in a while. I heard 7 seconds (the duet with neneh cherry) in a Clinton’s Cards shop the other day (don’t ask), and it brightened my day. We’ve listened to it a couple of times since and it stands the test.

Kate Bush - the Red Shoes
Well, not all of it. I’m addicted to "Lily", a magic mantra of a track detailing a magical protection given to someone whose psychic barriers have been breached by an awful loss (well, that the impression I get). It makes the hairs on me neck stand up every time. Every single time. I do like this lp, but for me this track stands out like Olympus Mons on the martian surface of the rest.

Soft Cell - This Last Night in Sodom
Thanks LL for reminding me of this one…memories re-awakened of over-made-up drug-fuelled sessions…I’ve always preferred the Art of Breaking Apart and its associations with Genesis P and co, but This Last Night is a hoot. As LL pointed out - the commercial suicide album (I love that).

Black Sabbath - Volume 4
Again…worth it for Supernaut alone.

Gong - Angels Egg
the Gong thread on unsung sent me back to this most sublime of albums. A masterpiece of trippy surrealism. And I don’t care what Shrimp says, Bloomdido Bad De Grasses’ sax (and flute) work is integral and superb. Have a cuppa tea luvverly cuppa tea rubberteetub. Sometimes I am grateful for no extra tracks - some lps should end the way they were intended - Eat That Phone Book Coda should end this CD. Unfortunately they have tacked ooby scooby doomsday on the end, and in my mind at least it doesn’t fit. At the end of the day when there’s nothing left to play and you’re all alone except for radio gnome, here’s your angels egg for breakfast in the morning (bye bye).

Gong - Zero to Infinity
Fantastic more-recent gong album. Reminded of this and Shapeshifter (recorded in more recent times, as opposed to the original flying teapot trilogy) by the splendid HH community (thanks folks), and I’m indebted to moon cat for introducing me to these two records in the first place. As we discussed recently I had given up on gong after shamal and gazeuse. And as Moonie pointed out, gong are red hot live still, and they can bring this LP vividly to life in concert.

hope it was worth it!
Peace and Noise,
Squid
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index