Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 8/2/03
Feb 09, 2003, 14:39
Hi

Sickbed Soundtrax this week so without further ado here goes.

The album of the week without doubt has been In Absentia by The Porcupine Tree. I have been ploughing my way through the Tree back catalogue over the past couple of weeks psyching myself up for the forthcoming tour. Had this album since September/October (US Import) and thought yeah its ok this week it gelled it really clicked and was the only disc given repeat play this week. It’s a diverse record – alternately heavy and mellow and lyrically dark. Is superb stuff every home should have one – go out and buy it at once!!!!

Other records, which have hit the stereo this week still on a Tree theme a radio promo CD-R from Moey and The Tree, live at the Bloomsbury Theatre in 1999.

The Pink Fairies – Never Never Land - incendiary rock and roll.
Planet Gong - Floating Anarchy Live 1977 – whoa excellent
Black Sabbath – Master of Reality
And something a bit modern for me Super Grass - I Should Co Co – bought this after being very impressed with them when they played on The White Room but the CD didn’t do much for me at the time – some interesting moments in retrospect though mite be worth further investigation.
Caravan- If I Could Do It Again - top stuff
Hawkwind – Palace Springs iffy live set from 1990/91 and also Quark Strangeness and Charm

And finally my walk to work music Neil Young -Live Rust

And that’s me
See ya later

Joolio

Still raining, still dreaming
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 8/2/03
Feb 09, 2003, 15:03
In a week when I discovered the joys of online chat in the Brain Donor room (good to meet you, Squid, Joolio and Seth!), the following aural pleasures were indulged:

Deep Purple 'Inglewood Live In California' - this is an official live bootleg obtainable through the Deep Purple Appreciation Society, of whom yours truly is a fully paid-up member. It is a rare-as-rocking-horse-poo recording of the Mk 1 lineup in 1968. If like me you dig the cabaret vocal style of founder vocalist Rod Evans, you will like this, despite the obvious limitations of the sound quality. Joolio, watch that doormat;

Grateful Dead 'Dick's Picks 16' - I can't get enough of '69 era Dead and this is a winner;

Slade 'Slade Alive' - thanks to Seth for reminding me I had this. Sure it's studio recorded, but it still kicks arse;

Van Morrison 'Veedon Fleece' - anyone who thinks The Man should have retired after 'Astral Weeks' should check this baby out. Quite wonderful;

Caravan 'Caravan' - this lot have really dominated my hi-fi lately; in fact they are starting to rival Hatfield and the North as my all-time favourite band. Maybe it's just that I have a Richard Sinclair thing, I dunno. Anyways, their first album is my major rediscovery of recent times, thanks to the excellent 2002 remaster. It's so good it inspired my first proper review for three months. Every home should have one - the album I mean, not the review;

Caravan 'Green Bottles For Marjorie' - this is another fans' only thing, available through Caravan's official website - a limited edition of once-thought-lost BBC sessions by the original lineup. Fascinating stuff, not least the two versions of the Softs' 'Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin' that appear here. Fans of the band must not miss out on this little gem;

Caravan 'Better By Far' - from the band's underrated pop period of the late 70's - early 80's; this sole excursion for the Arista label proves once and for all that Pye Hastings should have been a household name in the songwriting stakes;

Caravan 'The Canterbury Collection' - comments as per 'Better By Far' apply here. This compilation of the band's two Kingdom label albums includes the excellent, otherwise unavailable 'It's Never Too Late' from 1980;

Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom' - not a lot of people know this, but a variation of this album appeared on cassette in 1990 in a not-long available coupling with 'Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard'. It's that version I played this week, with its well-weird track arrangement starting with 'Alifie', possibly the most left-field track in the whole (hardly mainstream) Canterbury catalogue. Review coming up;

Gilgamesh 'Gilgamesh' - half-forgotten Canterbury Scene band led by the late Alan Gowen. Very Eggy and Hatfieldy;

Jake Thackray 'Lah-De-Dah' - call me sad, but this guy's death at Xmas hit me just as much as Strummer's. Witty, funny and heartfelt songs from a unique talent. David Gedge's biggest inspiration I reckon;

The Coral 'The Coral' - annoyingly talented bunch of teenagers with the naughties' answer to 'Kilimanjaro';

Jonathan Kelly 'Twice Around the Houses' - a new discovery for me of a terrific singer-songwriter from the early 70's. Very wise, introspective stuff;

Kansas 'Leftoverture' - terminally unhip they may be, but there's never been a US band so in debt to the British prog scene than Kansas. There are joys to behold in their 70's back catalogue (avoid the Steve Morse 80's era with your life if you dislike AOR) and this is their best-known and most accomplished album. Imagine 'Plump' era Caravan mixed with heavy, early Queen;

Kevin Ayers 'Joy Of A Toy' - well what can I say that hasn't already been said;

Charlie Parker 'The Complete Savoy And Dial Sessions' - text book stuff that feeds my soul every time I dip into it;

plus Glenn Gould playing Bach Partitas and Eduard Van Beinum's first recording of Brahms' First Symphony.

May peace fill your lives, but not your hi-fi.

Dave W
direwolf
92 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 15:26
Still enjoying the old vinyl since I got a new turntable lately... this week I've been into...
King Crimson - Starless and Bibleblack
Floyd - Piper at Gates of Dawn
Gong - You and Angel's Egg
Iron Maiden - Beast Over Hammersmith (live show from the Number of the Beast tour included in Eddie's Archive)
Hellacopters- High Visibility
Honky - Attacked by Lesbians in a Chicago Bowling Alley (live set from Jeff Pinkus' {Butthole Surfers} new band.)
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 16:02
My brain hurts. Listening things with chums and on me todd.

The Starlings - Too Many Dogs. Ultra spiteful misanthropy with sinister indie tones. Great

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Superstition. Goth tinged clever art pop

Mediaeval Baebes - Undrentide. John Cale produced saucy bewitchment from comely maidens

The Warlocks - Phoenix. Top drawer stooges/warhols/velvets style sleaze rock

Swervedriver - Mezcal Head. Ace bludgeon rock with mild hint of shoegazing. Underrated band

Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea. Mostly bore-rea

Shellyan Orphan - Helleborine. Very English fey pastoral indie whimsy niceness with olde worlde tones. Makes Belle & Sebastian sound like Bolthrower in places. Charming though.

Miles Davies - Dark Magus. Ace free form freak out jazz rock fusion epics

Courtney Pine - Underground. Beats & Jazz mix by feelgood jazz dude

Herbie Hancock - Dis Is Da Drum. Hip hop beats n Jazz fusion from foreward thinking mofo

Amused By Genitals - Lass, Pray Pass No More Ass Gas!

Meat Beat Manifesto - Subliminal Sandwich. Pleasingly dark electro-pop dance thingy

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger. Far out psy trance madness for trip heads

Tribal Sessions Singapore - old mixmag freebie of minimal funkapated house grooves. Ace.

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? Blllllluuuurrrbbblleee

Going for cat nap. Have a nice week
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 16:14
Pentangle. I stuck my finger in my ear and washed the dishes while listening to their Anthology CD.
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 16:45
Hello again!

Well, its not been an overly musically charged week, but there's some stuff, which is:

Les Rallizes Denudes - Studio & Soundboard 1969-1975: This is my forst listen to this band and i am mightily impressed. Completely fucked recordings and i cant really tell what's live and whats done in the studio, dont even know the names of the tracks (track 1, track 2 etc). Really want to hear some more though!

Rocket From The Tombs: More crap quality recordings but i aint complaining, brilliant rawwwk and roll of the stoogified variety.

Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard: Most obviously Sabbath influenced album of theirs, great stuff non the less.

German Oak - German Oak: Not heard this in a while.... mysterious kraut groove funkness.

High Rise - Live: Rock and Roll taken to the extremity of goodness. Love to listen to this now and again :)

Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come: Another not heard in a while, but a true classic. Kicks the crap out of virtually everything deep purple ever did! ;)

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space: I havent heard these guys since the gig at the eden project last year.... brilliant memories come flooding back of a damn good evening :)

Faust - So Far: Wooooo another i've not put on in a while.... hearing "its a rainy day" again put a stupid great big grin on me chops :)

The Cure - Japanese Whispers: Lent to me by a guy at work and its a pretty good compilation of early 80s singles. Love Cats is great!

Pink Floyd - Soundtrack to More: Weather seems to GRADUALLY be getting a bit better... seeing the last of the winter. This time of year leading into spring often makes me want to listen to this era Floyd. Trully great album sadly often overlooked, though check mr Seth's review (which i am sure loads have already :P)

Can - Ege Bamyasi: Always reveals more upon each listen, even though it's quite simple on the surface. Good in the dark!

Byebye have a nice week

Steve :)
caergog
393 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 16:52
the local record shop has a three cds for £21 deal on just now so don got a couple of ninja tunes stuff and i got head over heals by cocteau twins to replace the vinyl so have been emersing my self in that.
i have noticed the neighbours have been playing lots of the smiths seems the eighties come back has begun!!
love caroline x
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 09, 2003, 19:52
Inspired by Howdens 'Noah house Of Dread' CD, this week has mostly been in 'Dubwise'...

Big Youth - Dreadlocks Dread.
Maaaaaannn, i haven't heard this in Soooo loooong. everyone in the house is ill with cough's colds, flu, so this cheered up everyone mightily...been played again and again and again.....almost like summers arrived (well with the heat turned right up)

AOA - Emotion Vacation
Psych dub trace space rock thang with EYE from the Boredoms...mightily funky inna all the tracks blend into one another way.A bit like Vision Creation without the guitars.

Warlocks - Phoenix
San Frans answer to BRMC/J&MC, Velvets/Spacemen 3 etc.... mightily varied rock'n'roller rollercoaster with nice chill out bits (Cosmic Let Down is jusr S U B L I M E .

Meat Beat Manifesto - RUOK
New long player from big beats originators (if u believe the hype)...not as good (or Dubby) as earlier outings...more straight on 'dance' S'OK though...still think 'Subliminal Sandwich' is the best one...speaking of which...

Meat Beat Manifesto - Subliminal Sandwich...
Dug this out cos' of the 'newbie release'...much better inna 'electro dub sci fi thudfest'.

Home made reggae/dub compilation (ain't LP minidiscs ace...5 hours worth of top rankin inna dub stylee to troll away the hours whilst dabbling around Mmmmm 'Zion Gate' by I Roy (i think) is just sooo yummy.

HAST.Co - Psychedelisce Musique (Lava Surf Kunst)
Dronetastic guitar loopfest of 'ambient' noise 'out thereness'.

Uncut, Bowie trib Thang...not as bad as i was expecting...Guy Chadwicks rendition of 'Fall In Love With Me' is lush. And Alejadro Escoveda's 'All the Young Dudes' hits all the right buttons. Will have to listen to it a few more times to descide my fav's.

Probably a few others, but that's all i can recall for now.
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Shellyan Orphan - Helleborine
Feb 09, 2003, 20:21
Bloody hell Moon Cat - I thought I was the only one in the world that bought this album.

I should have put "Anatomy of Love" in the "goooey" thread, brrrrr makes me tingle just thinking about it. I love her voice.

Cantury flower the follow up was more "indie instruments" based (well kind of) then Humroot was a return to tweeness. Then I think they imploded.

Caroline went on to be part of This mortal coil and then in a band called Babacar. Dunno what she's doing just now.

Give me a shout if you want anymore of their stuff.

sorry I'm rambling

Moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Cocteau Twins
Feb 09, 2003, 20:29
Hey Caergog,
Should have waited for Head Over Heels - They are re-releasing some of ver Twins albums tomorrow (FEB 10th) all spangly remastered too. Head Over Heels is one of them

Dropping on my doormat should be Victorialand and Treasure

I'm sure yours will still shimmer with the rest of em tho'

Moey
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index