39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 8/2/03
Feb 11, 2003, 14:42
QUICKSPACE The Death Of Quickspace
Ragged but great krautrock influenced stuff from ex Faith healer guitarist.
Elements here reminiscent of brit glam especially Roxy

CLUSTER Zuckerzeit
First Moebius/Roedelius lp to utilise steady rhythm. Sugartime? Certainly sweet use of melody though there are points where this does get maybe a tad too ambient.
Wasn’t expecting the use of instrumentation like guitars here since I thought they were all electronic. but this is the only thing I’ve had by them outside of an Eno collaboration that disappeared some years back. That was good too.

DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
Kevin Rowland and co in docker/Northern Soul style.
Always did love KR’s voice and the chorus to Geno that goes on about Academic Inspiration You Gave me none strikes me strange. Multisyllabicism in pop songs whodathunkit?

SMITH AND MIGHTY Life Is..
Unsung ex Wild bunch bristolians in trip hop cd shocker. Love the track with the toasting.

DAVID BOWIE Ziggy Stardust 30th Anniversary Reissue
Grew up wiv this stuff coming in from my brother’s room. Meant to pick it up for ages, (as in 2 incarnations back anyway). Just heard that this was a limited edition so grabbed it before it completely disappeared.
I’m surprised by incipient appearances of sound that seems to want to be boogie or country rock. Also by the idea that acoustic plus electric guitar is somehow futruristic.
Works dashed well this thing sounds both deeply of its time and timeless simultaneously

PIANO MAGIC Writers Without Homes
Eerie post-rock type stuff.
The lyricist here’s great and this features the appearance of various guest singers including Vashti Bunyan and the girls from Tarwater.
I hear echoes of things like This heat in the heavy repetition. This has been said to be a letdown in relation to their other stuff. This is the only one I’ve heard and as such it don’t seem to be. From this experience this strikes me as a band I need to check out more.

ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA First Light 30th Anniversary
The one lp by the ex-Move crew instead of Jeff Lynne controlled band. Wood and Bevan left, Bevan returned and Wood is apparently a contributor to ELO2.
Strange sound, a rock band with strings as integrated instruments instead of mere orchestration. Wouldn’t mind hearing a coupla these tracks played by a normal instrumental line up sound like a few cello parts would be great as electric leads. Omigod did sumbudy leave a muso in me?

pt2 follows
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index