England Expectorates arrived!

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Re: England Expectorates arrived!
Aug 24, 2022, 17:18
I think this is good...very good in places, not so good in others... but, y'know, good. Definitely an extension of SCW sonically, but that was sprawling and dynamic and brilliant (best since Scary Monsters!) whereas this is a bit one-note musically. But I think that's on purpose. All the sudden fades and obvious drum machines and 'dodgy' production will be by design, as he's done in various ways since Citizen Cain'd.

I actually like the very specific Boris lyrics and other references that are NOW (or, er, RECENT). Who else is doing that? And it makes it a kind of folk music. I still like Peggy Suicide - the Thatcher and Poll Tax references don't ruin the songs for me because they're not current.

As others have said it's definitely a grower. I just like that he's writing these kind of songs with well crafted lyrics. The Black Sheep period (band not album) was probably my least favourite Cope period musically but I stuck with it. This is what I want from Cope, even if it's not perfect... and also knowing it would sound a shit tonne better with a band. But I'm pretty sure this is exactly how he wants it to sound.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index