56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2022, 14:23
Re: England Expectorates arrived!
Aug 24, 2022, 14:19
I gave it a listen last night. The recording IS dreadful which I kinda expected on the evidence of the CCFO single. But what a shame. Not fading a track properly has no excuse really, though the first CD of Citizen Cane'd had similar apparently wilful poor production, but that was very in keeping with the musical vibe; here it just feels shoddy.

Initial impression is that it's a weaker album than Self Civil War - there are no instant ear worm gems like 'Immortal', 'Cosmic Flash', 'Berlin Face-lift' and 'Your FB...' but it'll get a few listens to see if it's a grower.

The opener starts with Can's 'Mother Sky' riff which got me excited but now I'm wondering if he's just out of ideas?

There's some fine bass playing in places, one track on Phase 2 reminding me of 'Highway to the Sun'. Not sure about people's impressions of a drum machine - I felt it was Julian playing real drums as on SCW. He can keep time, at least!

So, on one listen... disappointing, but coming on the heels of SCW that was so brimming with brilliance and creativity was always gonna be a tough call.x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index