The Moody Blues

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

The Moody Blues
Feb 04, 2010, 10:35
Inspired by Squid T's reference to them on Stevo's psych. thread, I recently bought Days Of Future Passed and got hold of In Search Of The Lost Chord from the library, and they are both excellent. I'd heard a few tracks as a teenager that I liked, but I somehow got into the 'terminally uncool' mode of thought. Happily, I was quite wrong. They may never have been considered hip here in the UK, but you can't deny great songwriting, musicianship and imagination. As a mellotron freak and all round psych pop and prog lover, I'm really enjoying unearthing all these gems. I've got another four of their classic period albums on the way via the Library.
I wonder who else I may have missed...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: The Moody Blues
Feb 04, 2010, 10:41
What I found with the Moodys was that I seriously did not get them - I actually found them quite painful to listen to, and too middle of the road by far, UNTIL I heard them when tripping. My preconceptions were blown completely away.

With other psychedelic music I can usually tell even when not in an altered state that it is trippy music, but this just wasn't apparent to me with the Moodys.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 10:45
I've got 'Days of Future Passed' on vinyl. I haven't listened to it for years but I really really really love 'Nights in White Satin' and have done ever since I was a kid. I'm not really sure why The Moody Blues are considered so uncool but then I'm not really sure what constitutes 'cool'! A much under-rated band imho.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 10:47
Ah! The 3D glasses effect! It's like house and trance - a lot of it is absolute gash until you hear it when you're on E. THEN it makes sense! I wonder what other bands sound good once you've dropped acid, sounds like a good research project - I wonder if I'll be eligible for government funding?!
espsummer
340 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 10:50
here is a strange thing i've run across with "days of future past". i first heard it on cassette in the early 90s. totally fell in love with it. I bought the cd later and it sounded as if it was mixed differently. Later i bought the US record. That was the first mix i heard on tape. Later still i bought a MFSL record of "days" and it was the same mix as the cd. So.....i believe there must have been a UK mix differing from the US mix or that there is a mono mix and stereo mix that differ. The difference between the US album version and the MFSL or cd version are most strikingly on songs like "dawn is the day" or "evening"...anyone else notice that?:????
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 10:50
Daminxa wrote:
I've got 'Days of Future Passed' on vinyl. I haven't listened to it for years but I really really really love 'Nights in White Satin' and have done ever since I was a kid. I'm not really sure why The Moody Blues are considered so uncool but then I'm not really sure what constitutes 'cool'! A much under-rated band imho.

Absolutely, Squid. Maybe the years of synapse blowing has made me Moody friendly. Days Of Future Passed is a great album, and Nights In White Satin has always torched my hidden incurabley romantic bone, Daminxa. Underneath my curmudgeonly misanthropic tendencies, lies a cosmic softy really. ;-)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 10:52
Daminxa wrote:

I think the problem was that they couldn't Rock Out and they couldn't really Prog Out either. They also dressed like refugees from the James Last Orchestra.

When they try and rock it is kind of embarassing but when they do their bucolic folk / psych-lite thing they are pretty good. Sometimes great. Half of "Threshold of a Dream" for example is magical the other hald is absolutely toe-curling.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 11:12
'Nights in White Satin' a great song indeed .. brings me right back to my child hood. I was born 1967 so I am a proper psychedelic moFo.

(((charrR)))
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 11:14
cHARLIE wrote:
'Nights in White Satin' a great song indeed .. brings me right back to my child hood. I was born 1967 so I am a proper psychedelic moFo.

(((charrR)))

I was born in 1968. We must have soaked up the vibes, fellow Intranaut!
Namaste.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 11:14
I have to admit I've always had an aversion to Justin Hayward even though I love his music! But all respect due for 'Nights in White Satin', I don't care if it does border on the cheesy, it's one of the all time great 'open your heart and bleed' love songs, regardless of the genre it may belong to.

You're right about their style too, not good...
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index