3608 posts

Re: The Moody Blues
Feb 04, 2010, 12:02
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Daminxa wrote:
I've got 'Days of Future Passed' on vinyl. I haven't listened to it for years but I really really really love 'Nights in White Satin' and have done ever since I was a kid. I'm not really sure why The Moody Blues are considered so uncool but then I'm not really sure what constitutes 'cool'! A much under-rated band imho.

I think the problem was that they couldn't Rock Out and they couldn't really Prog Out either. They also dressed like refugees from the James Last Orchestra.

When they try and rock it is kind of embarassing but when they do their bucolic folk / psych-lite thing they are pretty good. Sometimes great. Half of "Threshold of a Dream" for example is magical the other hald is absolutely toe-curling.

What I found was that even the toe curling bits sounded amazing when under the influence!

What even "Send Me No Wine" on Threshold? Sounds like a Smokie b side!

Even the bits which sound like, err, I dunno, the Swingle Singers or summat!

It's a good job I don't get too embarrassed by my musical tastes!

Way to go Squid. I don't give a flying feck any more. Ten years ago my love of classic Prog was kept strictly for the confessional ;-)
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:05
I had 'Days Of Future Past' and 'In Search Of The Lost Chord' for a while but rather incongruously only really got into the Moodies properly after reading Japrocksampler. The wonderful music of the Far East Family Band sent me back to 'the source' - the sequence of albums made by Hayward and co between 1968 and 1972, so tantalisingly referenced in Cope's book. I find them equal parts sappy and trippy, but the excessive use of Mellotron makes them generally hit the spot for me, and they have their own style of 'rocking out' on propulsive songs such as 'Ride My See Saw' and 'Question'.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:13
flashbackcaruso wrote:
I had 'Days Of Future Past' and 'In Search Of The Lost Chord' for a while but rather incongruously only really got into the Moodies properly after reading Japrocksampler. The wonderful music of the Far East Family Band sent me back to 'the source' - the sequence of albums made by Hayward and co between 1968 and 1972, so tantalisingly referenced in Cope's book. I find them equal parts sappy and trippy, but the excessive use of Mellotron makes them generally hit the spot for me, and they have their own style of 'rocking out' on propulsive songs such as 'Ride My See Saw' and 'Question'.

Blimey. I would never have imagined Julian mentioning them, let alone in a complimentary manner, but it figures, come to think of it.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:30
I'm quite familiar with a lot of their material from 1967-1970, plus the later early 70s singles.
I grew up with those albums from that period coming through the family home.
I don't know what it is, but they've always had some strange attraction.

Of course, this totally disappeared in the late seventies and lasted about ten years (same with most 'old' UK 'underground' music).

A real guilty pleasure.......but why feel guilty after all?

I liked the fact that they looked quite pristine and dorkish too (btw- good description of the barber shop window models from Ian B)

I remember seeing them doing "Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band" on TOTP and they had a proto electric drum kit!

....and this earlier clip is priceless (a great cover of this song was done by Bongwater too!)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2DQBlVcJ0
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:41
The Sea Cat wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Blimey. I would never have imagined Julian mentioning them, let alone in a complimentary manner, but it figures, come to think of it.

Absolutely- well Teardrop Explodes sounded more like The Moody Blues than they did to either Pere Ubu or Faust!! ;-D
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:41
I really got into The Moody Blues a couple of years ago. Love 'em. For me their uncoolness is perversely part of the appeal- I love their look, the fact that these guys all look like Peter Wyngarde and Leslie Thomas are making these slightly wrong overblown orchestral psych records. I'm tempted to start rocking a 1968 Mike Pinder look myself- pencil 'tache, paisley cravat, sideburns, what's not to love?

It's the same as with the Beach Boys- the guys were uncool. Except of course it's very cool to like The Beach Boys, now, if you get me.

In Search of the Lost Chord is their best album for me. House of Four Doors and the spooky Legend of A Mind with the 'Timothy Leary's dead' refrain. What was that all about? After that they do get increasingly middle of the road, but all that run up to and including Seventh Sojourn can be enjoyed muchly in the right frame of mind. Actually I think much of the acid effect is embracing the uncoolness- that point where cool and uncool meet in the great cosmic circle and profound genius is the same thing as a ridiculous joke which is like the meaning of the universe man... maybe the Moodies knew...
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:44
I wished I'd been about 18+ around the psychedelic era, soaking up the vibes and feeding my head. Had to wait til 1972 before I popped out, year of Exile On Main St which prob says a lot about some of my tastes. On the plus side I was ripe for the rave and dance era and that whole new summer of love scene.....(see the quotes about the Orb on the 'psychedelic record' thread)

As for the Moody Blues....I'm off to the library at lunch to check them out. The only thing in my head about them is an old clip from the Sounds Of The Sixties TV show. They looked pretty bad.

It's been quite a trippy related week here at Unsung. I like it.

And whoever it was that said the thing about Government funding for tripping to records research, what a greta a idea. Get onto your local MP asap ;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2010, 12:45
Feb 04, 2010, 12:44
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I really got into The Moody Blues a couple of years ago. Love 'em. For me their uncoolness is perversely part of the appeal- I love their look, the fact that these guys all look like Peter Wyngarde and Leslie Thomas are making these slightly wrong overblown orchestral psych records. I'm tempted to start rocking a 1968 Mike Pinder look myself- pencil 'tache, paisley cravat, sideburns, what's not to love?

It's the same as with the Beach Boys- the guys were uncool. Except of course it's very cool to like The Beach Boys, now, if you get me.

In Search of the Lost Chord is their best album for me. House of Four Doors and the spooky Legend of A Mind with the 'Timothy Leary's dead' refrain. What was that all about? After that they do get increasingly middle of the road, but all that run up to and including Seventh Sojourn can be enjoyed muchly in the right frame of mind. Actually I think much of the acid effect is embracing the uncoolness- that point where cool and uncool meet in the great cosmic circle and profound genius is the same thing as a ridiculous joke which is like the meaning of the universe man... maybe the Moodies knew...

Like on that 'Prog Top Ten' show where Mark Radcliffe announces....

'Five young men from Birmingham.....destined for outer space!'

;-D
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:51
Jim Tones wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Like on that 'Prog Top Ten' show where Mark Radcliffe announces....

'Five young men from Birmingham.....destined for outer space!'

;-D

Wonderful! These two excellent posts were made for each other. L O L and spot on as well.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 12:52
Julian has always rated 'In Search of the Lost Chord' and has mentioned it a few times. I think in Head-On he explains that this was one of the first psychedelic albums he heard as a child and it remained a guilty pleasure through the 70s- I think he may have partly modelled his look on Justin Hayward at some point too.

Another part of the appeal of the Moody Blues is that you can always pick their vinyl albums up cheap in charity shops. You can also pick up the threads to dress like them while you're there, if you feel the need.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index