Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2010, 20:56
Re: The Moody Blues
Feb 04, 2010, 20:55
Yes I think OGWT may have been when I first heard them or maybe supporting Man. It is all a bit hazy.

If I am not suffering from false memory / terminal nostalgia Band Called O were pretty good live and much tougher sounding on stage than on record.

All those mid level Bob Harris / Nicky Horne endorsed bands (Crawler, Moon etc etc) seemed to get lame AOR productions aimed at American radio and got caught somewhere between two stools. I blame Rod myself. Also explains why Be Bop Deluxe, Hammill, Lizzy and SAHB kept their cred after Punk - they at least sounded like rock bands.

No wonder Punk sounded so radical and a blessed relief when it came along though I did buy "White Riot" and "Jess Roden Live" on the same day.
keith a
9574 posts

Feb 04, 2010, 22:54
IanB wrote:
Yes I think OGWT may have been when I first heard them or maybe supporting Man. It is all a bit hazy.

If I am not suffering from false memory / terminal nostalgia Band Called O were pretty good live and much tougher sounding on stage than on record.

All those mid level Bob Harris / Nicky Horne endorsed bands (Crawler, Moon etc etc) seemed to get lame AOR productions aimed at American radio and got caught somewhere between two stools. I blame Rod myself. Also explains why Be Bop Deluxe, Hammill, Lizzy and SAHB kept their cred after Punk - they at least sounded like rock bands.

No wonder Punk sounded so radical and a blessed relief when it came along though I did buy "White Riot" and "Jess Roden Live" on the same day.

Just played Within Reach, and can't find a track called Coasting on it, Ian. As I was listening to it, it was the closing title track that I thought you must have meant, as there was a possible chill feel to that IMO. Good track actually.

Although I enjoyed playing WR I'm not sure of how much of it I would have liked if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor (and some of the lyrics are rather cringeworthy!).

That said, it was good to hear ASID again. I wouldn't necessarily list 'soft funk'* as a personal favourite genre by any means, but they were firing on all cylinders with that one. I can definitely imagine them being harder hitting live, mind.

(I don't think I bought WR until 1977, so I probably bought it the same day as some punk 45!)

* Mind you, I like Atlanta Rhythm Section's So Into You as well!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 09:45
I listened to "This is..." last night, as I'd been bigging it up. There are are number of tracks on there that do the flippety-floppity thing to me! Isn't Life Strange and Lovely To See You being the most obvious.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2010, 10:12
Feb 05, 2010, 10:08
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Just played Within Reach, and can't find a track called Coasting on it, Ian. As I was listening to it, it was the closing title track that I thought you must have meant, as there was a possible chill feel to that IMO. Good track actually.

Although I enjoyed playing WR I'm not sure of how much of it I would have liked if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor (and some of the lyrics are rather cringeworthy!).

That said, it was good to hear ASID again. I wouldn't necessarily list 'soft funk'* as a personal favourite genre by any means, but they were firing on all cylinders with that one. I can definitely imagine them being harder hitting live, mind.

(I don't think I bought WR until 1977, so I probably bought it the same day as some punk 45!)

* Mind you, I like Atlanta Rhythm Section's So Into You as well!

On the German cd reissue it was track 11 of 12 so maybe it was a b side? The vinyl is long since gone though I have the poster somewhere. Coasting is a nice little instrumental thing.

Atlanta Rhythm Section were a good act. I really liked AWB and even some of those Brit Soft Funk bands like Kokomo, Moon and Cado Belle. At least I liked them live. The records were probably horrible. On the American side there was a Cate Bros tune that I remember loving (and hating the album) and bands like Mothers Finest and Tower of Power. Funk with guitar solos. That soul / rock crossover stuff could be really good.

Those were funny times. Healthy though because no one was really sure about what was "appoved" as being cool and what wasn't so anything went. Liking Santana AND The Damned seemed perfectly ok. It's a bit like that now I think.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 11:07
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
I wished I'd been about 18+ around the psychedelic era, soaking up the vibes and feeding my head. Had to wait til 1972 before I popped out, year of Exile On Main St which prob says a lot about some of my tastes. On the plus side I was ripe for the rave and dance era and that whole new summer of love scene.....(see the quotes about the Orb on the 'psychedelic record' thread)

always kind of thought that myself, but the drawbacks of living in the era without half the modern conveniences (like nightbuses, internet, mobile phones, videos or whatever media you enjoy the nostalgia through)kind of tempers that.

Was thinking about that a couple of months back when I picked up the 1964 Folk Routes, New Roots. Would be nice to be back there hearing this for the first time, but then you'd have to deal with being ignorant of half the rest of the stuff you really like, plus living in a far more primitive environment.

So thought experiment possibly, real life experience nah. think having the convenience of a time machine to pop you back to individual points'd be far better :-)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 05, 2010, 11:23
Stevo wrote:
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
I wished I'd been about 18+ around the psychedelic era, soaking up the vibes and feeding my head. Had to wait til 1972 before I popped out, year of Exile On Main St which prob says a lot about some of my tastes. On the plus side I was ripe for the rave and dance era and that whole new summer of love scene.....(see the quotes about the Orb on the 'psychedelic record' thread)

always kind of thought that myself, but the drawbacks of living in the era without half the modern conveniences (like nightbuses, internet, mobile phones, videos or whatever media you enjoy the nostalgia through)kind of tempers that.

Was thinking about that a couple of months back when I picked up the 1964 Folk Routes, New Roots. Would be nice to be back there hearing this for the first time, but then you'd have to deal with being ignorant of half the rest of the stuff you really like, plus living in a far more primitive environment.

So thought experiment possibly, real life experience nah. think having the convenience of a time machine to pop you back to individual points'd be far better :-)

Ah, but what you don't know, you don't miss! Having been a young teen at the start of the seventies, I got a vague idea of the tail end of the sixties, and from that alone I would have loved to have been old enough to be more involved in the music scene at that time.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2010, 00:46
Feb 06, 2010, 00:44
I love 'em - well, the seven classic albums from 'Days..' to 'Seventh Sojourn' anyway. There are odd decent songs thereafter but no good whole albums. If you can find it, check out the excellent 'Time Traveller' box set from the early 90's which contains everything you could ever need. Then take Ronnie's advice and get into the terminally underrated Barclay James Harvest, who did most of what the Moodies did even better. There's a fine career spanning box set called 'All Is Safely Gathered In' - I can't recommend it highly enough.
funnyjokes
4 posts

Sep 11, 2018, 05:23
Oh! This article has suggested to me many new ideas. I will embark on doing it. Hope you can continue to contribute your talents in this area. Thank you.
webnovel
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Sep 11, 2018, 09:22
Ok, good luck. Hope you find the lost chord
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index