Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Have I been told off by Julian on the Drudion for....

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 04, 2009, 13:47
Re: capitalism and the law
May 04, 2009, 13:18
Merrick wrote:
IanB wrote:
I still believe that if people in the more prosperous nations were specifically told the number of Dollars or Euros or Pounds that they themselves would have to give up each year in order to guarantee a just global distribution of water, food, health care and shelter then there would be a majority who would sign up for that if the plan is credible regardless of the material cost to them personally. No flags required.

Beautifully put there, really eloquent. I totally agree. Which is what makes me motivated to relentlessly struggle for change. I know that the overwhelming majority of people have an intrinsic thirst for justice and that, when we really see what we're doing, we choose the fair thing. and yes, as you say, that people will sacrifice for the common good if needs be.

Glad we see eye to eye on that.

As per my earlier posts in this thread I do not believe that people are capable of thinking about global injustice in an abstract sense or about its causes. That much self-knowledge is going to be crushing to the extent that it has to be blanked-out in order for one to continue to function (in a moral sense) in this society. We can't afford to have people blank it out. There has to be a different route. A different incentive.

If you convince people that their harvest and their borders are more secure if they share food, water and power equitably then that's the way to create the climate of acceptance required. People just want to be given the number and to know how it will effect them in terms of the provision of services. As simple and as difficult as that.

Coming back to rock n roll, much as I am really enjoying Cope's new record I find it hard to equate a movement towards this kind of desperately needed transparency with marching bands, flags and uniforms. There is also something of the hipster / straight duality about it. Much as I like the old hippie myths the people who will make this work in a practical sense are the ones with capitalistic skills who are convinced (not coerced) to turn those talents to a different use.

I do believe that people develop skills out of self-interest and that often the most self-interested and least forward-thinking folks are going to have the skills most needed to turn a utopian ideal into a practical reality. The practical battle is far harder to win that the ideological one so. To win the hearts and minds battle and then fuck up on the ground would be a tragedy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index