Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Have I been told off by Julian on the Drudion for....

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: capitalism and the law
May 02, 2009, 20:45
Merrick:

I don't pretend to be an expert on such matters, and mostly I still find myself unsure of exactly what Cope seems to be proposing in his writings and lyrics of the last while. What does "Destroy Amerikkkan Capitalism" mean to you, because outside of being a mildly shocking statement, it is totally meaningless to me.

When I say it's completely ridiculous to announce the destruction of capitialism, it's because all of us are constantly involved in and expanding on the basic principles of capitalism, despite how some seem to think that there is a better way.

It is a complex issue, and what I mostly have problems with are the proponents of so called 'anti-consumerism'. These descriptions of 'the conformed masses' who only live to consume are a giant myth that seems to have taken over the ideology of many young urban dwellers. Distinction, not conformity is what drives competitive consumption. It is the mindset of being different from everyone else that is the single greatest driving force of our modern economy.

As far as changing the law, I agree that the same tactics do not apply to every situation, and historically many different approaches have been used with successes and failures. Protest is a vital part of democracy, but I strongly believe in understanding the difference between deviance and dissent when engaging in political actions. If only for another viewpoint, because I understand you to be a well read and passionate person based on your articles posted on this site, I do recommend reading "The Rebel Sell". I would do the same if you recommend a book for me.

(Is GM crop genetically-modified crop? I would need to read more about that situation to understand your point.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index