Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Have I been told off by Julian on the Drudion for....

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Have I been told off by Julian on the Drudion for....
May 03, 2009, 12:17
Citizensmurf wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
If everyone followed the 'what if everyone did that?' rule, the world would be a much more boring place. If everyone did everything the same, the world would be an extremely boring place.

Nah, I take your point, Smurf, but don't take it too seriously. They're not politicians or revolutionaries, just a bunch of old punks... artists, at best. Holding a banner saying you're against something doesn't neccesarily mean that you think that holding a banner is all it takes to defeat it. But it's a start.

Deviance? Dissent? Be a deviant, be a dissident. Both are fine in my book. "Go on, you've got five seconds... say something outrageous."

I try not to make such serious points around here (not that I can't be serious, but I generally come here for the music), but JC has been seeming more and more politically active lately, and his words have got me pondering.

I like that Cope has a sense of humour about the world, I think without that, people tend to get lost in their aims. Though honestly, it's hard to tell when he's having a laugh and when he's dead serious.

The book I quoted really solidified a lot of concerns I had about adbusting, anti-consumerism and the dreaded No Logo. The authors are a couple of Canucks, like myself, and it was a refreshing read, with a great sense of humour throughout.

(I often find it strange when people call me Smurf, I really just use that name because it was the first thing I thought of when trying to setup a hotmail account years ago, now I just use it so I don't have to remember umpteen different usernames across the internet, my name is really Neal)

Hello, Neal. I'm really Ben. Hunter T Wolfe was a pen name I adopted when I first started submitting music reviews to papers, conflating two of my favourite new journalist authors.

Wow, a sunny day so I don't put the computer on and this whole debate has leapt far ahead of me. I rather think "capitalism: good or bad" is a bit big for me to join in with right now. But, Neal, I think the quotes from 'The Rebel Sell' that you gave us made a lot of sense and I'm in agreement with a lot of what you were saying. I just think we don't need to apply them to Mr Cope right now.

His increasingly political stance is going to continue to split his fans on here more and more I think. I don't agree with everything he says by a long shot, but I think I'm broadly in agreement with his general stance. His politics though do seem very much instinctive and emotional rather than rational and clear-cut- often even contradictory. And a lot of it is just MC5-type sloganeering to shake things up, rather than a thought out ideological platform.

I'd never vote for Julian; I'd hate to have him in power, I think he'd turn into a Psychedelic Stalin in five minutes. You'd only be allowed to vote if you had the right haircut. Anyone suspected of once being a U2 fan would be sent to the gulag. Let's keep buying his records so he never has to consider that career option!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index