96 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2007, 23:09
Re: More new 2007 releases
Nov 01, 2007, 19:53
Dog 3000 wrote:

Liars "Liars" -- after several listenings I have to say it's their least impressive so far. More "commercial", which is almost like a joke coming from them -- I can imagine maybe in the early 90's this could have gotten some mainstream buzz ("inspired by Jesus & Mary Chain"). A handful of great tracks plus about 50% filler. (Not "bad" though!)

Meat Puppets "Rise To Your Knees" -- one of my fave 80's bands back with 2/3 original members. Unfortunately, I'd have to rank this as one of their two or three worst records though. Hasn't grown on me at all. (Still gonna see them next week though!!! I bet they play mostly oldies.)

I know we talked online about the Liars disc a few months back - I was disappointed at first but over the last few weeks it's grown on me quite a bit. I don't think it's their least impressive - personally their debut would get that ranking from me, although I still like it (it's just a bit too derivative compared to the later stuff). I'd love it if they did a Velvet Underground on us and released a whole LP of tender ballads like "The Other Side Of Mt. Heart Attack" - now that really would be unpredictable!

Didn't even know the Meat Puppets were still going - and their second and third albums are two of my all-time favourites. I presume Cris Kirkwood is the missing original member, giving his heroin addiction?

I've also added Wooden Shjips' debut to my list - although I prefer the bonus CD with their first two vinyl EPs on it to the album itself. Parts of it sound just like Loop to me - it seems late 80s UK trance rock has crossed back over the Atlantic again!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index