Best records of the year so far?

96 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nectarine9
nectarine9
60 posts

Re: Best records of the year so far?
Aug 01, 2007, 11:46
Jakobinarina; the singles "His lyrics Are Disastrous" , "Jesus", and "This Is An Advertisement". A band of whip-smart Icelandic teenage pop-punks, in-yer-face frontman - saw them in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago supporting Cajun Dance Party and they were great - left before the headliners natch! Album later in the year "The First Crusade" - bound to be a cracker also. "Hello. We are Jakobínarína and we are officially announcing we are sell-outs, We will even change our name to the Coca-Cola band!"

Times New Viking - The Paisley Reich (Siltbreeze) - post pavement attitude + girl vox + a knackered buzzing amp + very loud mastering = ouch my ears!

Tinariwen “Aman Iman: Water Is Life” - kind of reed/morrison feel to their desert guitar drones.

+ (of course) The Fall "Post Reformation T.L.C." - Smith's new american backing band sound fine to me, despite reports to the contrary. It's about 50-50 genius / filler ratio, but The Fall at their best are worth it. The second night in Edinburgh earlier this year was one of the best Fall gigs I've seen over 23-years - took me back to Scanlon, Hanley, Burns era.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index