Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2007, 20:34
More new 2007 releases
Oct 30, 2007, 20:32
So what else is new?

In the last couple months:

The Fiery Furnaces "Widow City" -- a fine new album, though this seems to be a "love em or hate em" band.

Liars "Liars" -- after several listenings I have to say it's their least impressive so far. More "commercial", which is almost like a joke coming from them -- I can imagine maybe in the early 90's this could have gotten some mainstream buzz ("inspired by Jesus & Mary Chain"). A handful of great tracks plus about 50% filler. (Not "bad" though!)

Lunar Dunes "From Above" -- got this one in the mail (from someone around here I think) -- a very good instrumental record, on the psychy-proggy end but more atmospheric than "wanky".

Old Tim Relijun "Catharsis In Crisis" -- still sounds like OTR. I kinda feel like, if you like their sound (which is very "Beefheartesque") then you will like this record too, but it doesn't seem like they will ever "grow musically" (like.)

Om "Pilgrimage" -- also a bit disappointing, in that there's only one big log of fuzz (too mellow and too short!)

Zolar X "X Marks The Spot" -- first "real" album by legendary space glam band of the 70's now reunited. It's pretty good, but you can't really expect them to equal their best moments of the 70's. Sort of an elfin space-Ramones record.

Meat Puppets "Rise To Your Knees" -- one of my fave 80's bands back with 2/3 original members. Unfortunately, I'd have to rank this as one of their two or three worst records though. Hasn't grown on me at all. (Still gonna see them next week though!!! I bet they play mostly oldies.)

db pedersen "Carrot Carrot!" -- didn't mention this before because I thought it came out in 2006, but actually it is from early '07. Very cool "experimental" sounds by a solo bass player with a delay pedal who can do the "throat singing" trick! Quite extraordinary to see him play these songs live (though it sounds like it's got a lot of overdubbing, he actually does the loops "live.")
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index