Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: http://www.resonancefm.com/
Jul 11, 2004, 23:23
check out resonance fm is you can stream audio. london-based. some truly excellent shows - try the people like us hour for starters:

http://www.resonancefm.com/
gorseddphungus
185 posts

cave music
Jul 12, 2004, 08:30
i dont care if you like suede or the pet shop toys, its your problem not mine. but when you call the rest of us cave dwellers for not knowing suede...

'if you've never heard them then you've obviously been living in a cave for the past dozen years'

...then you are clearly showing your limited views supposing everyone must have heard of the indie bands you like.

"provincial", as mentioned here, is the perfect description

i have a problem with the few like you who arrive here expecting an indie/britpoop club and continuously slag off anyone who talks about music you dont know ('elitist', deliberately 'obscure', always old, too prog, etc) when in fact it is clear it is the purpose of this forum and website to find and learn about generally-unknown rock gems of the past and unsung releases of the present.

the whole complaint from the so-far extremely tolerant admin of this site is about the negativity (including yours) from people who dont give a shit and show it. example, if someone arrives and does not like any of the albums of the month reviewed then have they ever thought there might be a slight possibility they might be in the wrong website before jumping to say 'the stuff reviewed all sucks' or they are for deliberately-elitist obscurantist cave dwellers?
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Re: http://www.resonancefm.com/
Jul 12, 2004, 09:11
They had a great Arnaldo Baptista Interview a few weeks ago.
landells
landells
680 posts

Get and Unsung Editor
Jul 12, 2004, 09:13
…it might not be a popular decision but I reckon it needs it

What everyone must remember is that this is Julian Cope's website and Unsung is Julian Cope's idea/vision so therefore he is more than entitled to reject any review that he (or his nominated deputy) believes will not add to the worth of the site - anyone who doesn't agree w/ this is perfectly able to go and post their reviews elsewhere

If the bitching continues Unsung may be lost forever – and that would be a genuine loss
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

People Like Us
Jul 12, 2004, 09:47
Chris Langham is bloody hilarious.

;-}
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 12, 2004, 10:07
I'm with Holy on this one (at least on the negativity bit). Unsung is not a messageboard or whatever, it's a repository for (for want of a better word) reccommendations. It should deal with those things that have managed to pass by without having their praises sung and explain why they are worth it (or at least why the writer loves it).

Not really with him on not including the PSB review. Anything that looks at their work with a proper (ahem) retrospective (and positive) eye should be worth including, no matter what you personally think of them. I've been arguing for years that Tennant's "Smiths you can dance to" line was the truest thing ever said about pop music. It's great to see someone else stooding up for that view and arguing their corner. (Please excuse the unfortunate choice of example here.) I have a Gary Glitter album that I think is one of the most musically interesting records ever., and would immagine that it's megalithic style chanting and double drumming would make it a number one candidate for having it's praises "sung". Does Glitter's chart success and former pop star status rule this out (in which case, surely the likes of James Brown, Kiss, Sabbath and Van 'bloody' Halen would be too)?

Suede, however, can fuck right off.
;-}
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

An interfering Git Writes...
Jul 12, 2004, 10:38
As I don't post here very much these days I feel a bit worried about joining this debate, so please don't be too hard on me!

I think there might be a quite simple way out of this conundrum.

There could be a moderated Unsung reviews section, with reviews submitted to an editor prior to posting. There could also be a Soundtracks type section where people post up what they've been listening to recently, good or bad. With luck that would side step all this debate.

Good idea or stupid Monday morning rambling?!

Squid
x
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Negative Reviews Tanz der lemminge
Jul 12, 2004, 10:52
Recently looking through reviews, I did come across Shrimps "review" which to my mind seemed to be merely a statement agreeing with Julian Copes unworthy comments regarding Dance of the lemmings. This album is fuckin great, and definitely falls into the unsung category. I thought "why bother'' re shrimps revue.
Fortunately LL put matters right and did the decent thing in not only writing a great revue but also setting the record straight.
And regarding censorship on this site, well the censors own the sight and can do what they like, but the more cynical minded are sure gonna see things a different way.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Negative Reviews/censorship
Jul 12, 2004, 11:10
I wish I could view this deleted revue, however the "headmaster '' thinks otherwise. But it would have been nice to have had the choice to at least form my own opinion.
Some of these reviews are so damn good that some of us no doubt feel we need these "gems" only to find upon listening they are crap.
For instance that there Roger thing that Julian reviewed. Wow, I thought. Fortunately the sampler let me make up my aural decision, which was not the same , so a better formed decision was made.
By removing negative reviews the reader is getting an unbalanced view.
Please Holy Grail sir, do not censor us...........
keith a
9572 posts

Re: cave music
Jul 12, 2004, 11:22
And I have a problem with you. You're rude and you bore me.

Goodbye.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index