Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge

202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lefturn
22 posts

Re: Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge
Jan 16, 2017, 17:07
nigelswift wrote:
Quite a hoot that the RSPB joined the pro-tunnel lobby (why??????????) and the announced western portal turns out to be right next to their reserve. Hohoho. Stupid bustards.

As a long standing member of the RSPB I certainly hope they haven't. It would greatly surprise me and am assured they haven't taken a position because the manner in which this was announced caught them unawares. Indeed their position in 2006 was very much against, calling for members to object because of the threat to Normanton Down reserve. The intrusion of constructing the portal and all that goes with it let alone the use of four newly built lanes, would render the reserve useless. There is though surely something in what the Director-General of the National Trust, Dame Helen Ghosh, has remarked about skylarks - I mean that charity have coveted things in the past in the World Heritage site. Did they not take over Mike Pitts's vegetarian restaurant, the rural craft museum, and now have moved in on the Red Lion and the local shop at Avebury? The skylark reference is interesting given the RSPB reports Normanton Down's great success with "roosting and breeding stone curlews, as well as breeding skylarks"! Incidentally, the RSPB also had massive success with corn buntings, lapwings, barn owls, and wintering short-eared owls, plus common blue and grizzled skipper butterflies. No wonder the Trust fancy this tunnel, the portals are either side of their bit, perhaps thay are looking for the RSPB's success to leap over the fence. Sadly that is unlikely, the stone curlews will simply not move easily.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index