Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge

202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Salisbury bypass
Jan 19, 2017, 13:12
Agree with all of this (despite being a non-driver I totally get the thing about following old roads).

It seems to me that any of the options for change proposed are probably worse than leaving things as they are. The PM has said in another context that "a bad deal is worse than no deal" and I can't help thinking that ought to be the case with this issue. Any of the proposed changes seem to be bound to cost a massive amount of money and cause irreversible destruction, the only difference is the scale of cost and the scale of the destruction. As any project manager will tell you, you should always consider the "do nothing" option.

As tjj says, the problem is the volume of cars, sticking them in a tunnel isn't going to change that.

From the plans released with the consultation documents, it's hard to believe there won't be damage to at least some of the scheduled monuments (esp. at the north end of Normanton), irrespective of the damage to the wider archaeology, which they can't really begin to calculate until they start digging it all up.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index