202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2017, 10:35
Re: Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge
Jan 16, 2017, 10:33
I apologise for plugging away at this on the forum as I'm sure many people think it's a done deal and Stonehenge is a lost cause anyway. If anything all this has made me realise how precious Stonehenge is along with the World Heritage Site it sits in.
However indispensable we thinks cars/fast roads are, they are in fact a blight on our planet.

Here is a piece from the Architects Journal which quotes Mike Hayworth from the Council for British Archaeology.

".... Council for British Archaeology director Mike Hayworth said many heritage organisations would still like to see a longer tunnel, as it is ’almost impossible’ to avoid damaging the area if the development took place as currently planned.
He said: ’Stonehenge sits within a very significant, internationally recognised prehistoric landscape.
’On the western end where the portal tunnel comes out … this is in quite a sensitive area where there are lots of barrows [prehistoric monuments]. I’d like to know exactly where that portal is ... "

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/stonehenge-tunnel-archaeology-chief-raises-concerns/10016430.article#.WHybLQarnSw.facebook
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index