202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Julian Richards gives his view on the tunnel
Feb 21, 2017, 21:54
tiompan wrote:
Archaeological remains have value , that value , like so many of the most important values to people cannot be quantified , particularly economically .

I just watched two "Heritage" Professionals on Reporting Scotland explaining how exciting it is going to be... to go to the enormous expense of pulling down an area of Perth to look for the grave of James 1st. It will apparently be justified by the resulting tourism boost to the area which will apparently be akin to the tourism boost and the bouncing economic extravaganza enjoyed by Leicester following the reburial of the scoliotic car-park occupant Richard III. The people of Leicester and its visitors as we all know are Living The Dream since Richard III got re-planted there. Perth is planning to build a Visitor Centre with a virtual reality image of the site of the Blackfriars Monastery where the King was killed and buried in Feb 1437 (the site is currently home to a thriving pub). I'm already getting boned-up at the thought of the whole thing. I don't think you will be able to keep me away.

Value? "Heritage Development Opportunity" or is it really "The Desperation Of Perth"? What about a tunnel!!!??? Would a road tunnel which went from Scone Palace under The Tay to The Inches avoiding all the Roman Camps and the Roman Fort at Bertha, the old St John's Toun wall (which Cromwell tore mostly down) and Willie Soutar's House really help this shitstorm? Or should the tunnel be built from Inchyra to Carpow instead, thus preserving the whole Central Perth site for the James 1st Development but incurring the wrath of enthusiasts of the Campaigns of Septimus Severus? It is hard to know which sinking ship to jump on to ride out the Corryvreckan of Heritage Diahorrea.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index