Stonehenge and its Environs »
Highways England Consultation - A303/Stonehenge

202 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Salisbury bypass
Jan 19, 2017, 09:14
Probably a deeply unfashionable thing to say, but I love driving, and being able to glimpse stonehenge from the road is one example of the type of things that go towards the feeling of adventure, freedom and excitement that comes from being able to drive around the country.

Driving down to the west country and that feeling of still being on the path of the old roads of england, however misguided.

It's important to me, but I realise not everybody would care about that.

I can understand locals being thoroughly sick of the traffic. It must be hellish in the summer if you live around there.

But i'm not convinced a tunnel is going to solve anything much in that sense, but it seems certain it will destroy plenty in the SH landscape.

The one-way solution may help. I thought perhaps a toll might help too, but it would probably just move the traffic problem to somebody elses village.

Does anybody have access to a report on the direct disturbance or damage to scheduled monuments in the area?
The overall damage to the archaeology is something I suppose nobody can accurately predict.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index