Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Jul 31, 2013, 15:52
Astralcat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Glastonbury IS a chakra!

To illustrate the utter pointlessness of this kind of assertion, i'll just say "No it isn't" and that I know that 3000 years ago it was covered in banana and cream trifle.

You won't shift me from that belief.

Its my life illusion, metaphysical, garden gnomic view.

I wouldn't try to and completely respect your point of view. Om Shanti.

(psst: yes it is!)

Its a fact - 3000 years ago Glastonbury Tor was covered in bits of banana.

Thank you for respecting the truth.

Hari Om.

Hari bo.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 16:07
Astralcat wrote:
If one worked with specific spiritual practices, you would pretty soon discover that chakras are a spiritual/metaphysical fact. It's just that they're not part of your experience or belief system. Highly illumined and advanced men and women from so many cultures and traditions throughout the ages have discovered their 'strange beliefs' to be fact, and not deception. It's all about framework/knowledge system and levels of perception.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2179217/Incan-mummy-frozen-human-sacrifice-infection-lungs--offering-new-insight-diseases-past.html

The 'highly illumined' people who sacrificed these children probably believed that by doing so they could influence the weather. It was probably a deeply held spiritual belief. Maybe even the kids believed it. Most people nowadays know it to be bollocks. You don't have to be highly illumined to 'see' that.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 18:34
Jul 31, 2013, 18:28
ryaner wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
If one worked with specific spiritual practices, you would pretty soon discover that chakras are a spiritual/metaphysical fact. It's just that they're not part of your experience or belief system. Highly illumined and advanced men and women from so many cultures and traditions throughout the ages have discovered their 'strange beliefs' to be fact, and not deception. It's all about framework/knowledge system and levels of perception.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2179217/Incan-mummy-frozen-human-sacrifice-infection-lungs--offering-new-insight-diseases-past.html

The 'highly illumined' people who sacrificed these children probably believed that by doing so they could influence the weather. It was probably a deeply held spiritual belief. Maybe even the kids believed it. Most people nowadays know it to be bollocks. You don't have to be highly illumined to 'see' that.

Yeah right pal. 'How To Contain And Isolate Ancient Knowledge Via Examples Of Isolated Cruel Fact In A Convenient Jam Jar Courtesy Of The Daily Heil ', no less. Apart from a few intrepid independent thinkers, most of you are all just STONES AND COMPASSES. That's it. No Spirit. It's like you wander around in your thick socks with your maps and agendas and just don't GET something so vital. SPIRIT. You need 'EVIDENCE'. Are you so boringly immune to the very real magic of these sacred places ? Sadly, it would seem so. You are all just wasting your time and gazing at rocks and arguing about the antiquity of large pebbles. Nothing more. No Soul. No Spirit.

ps: no members of Steely Dan where clubbed over the head in the making of this post.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 18:59
Astralcat wrote:
ryaner wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Yeah right pal. 'How To Contain And Isolate Ancient Knowledge Via Examples Of Isolated Cruel Fact In A Convenient Jam Jar Courtesy Of The Daily Heil ', no less. Apart from a few intrepid independent thinkers, most of you are all just STONES AND COMPASSES. That's it. No Spirit. It's like you wander around in your thick socks with your maps and agendas and just don't GET something so vital. SPIRIT. You need 'EVIDENCE'. Are you so boringly immune to the very real magic of these sacred places ? Sadly, it would seem so. You are all just wasting your time and gazing at rocks and arguing about the antiquity of large pebbles. Nothing more. No Soul. No Spirit.

ps: no members of Steely Dan where clubbed over the head in the making of this post.

Oh dear. How incredibly arrogant, to assume that because people don't subscribe to your world-view, they're therefore soulless and don't experience a sense of magic. Obviously your spiritual progress has excluded humility ;)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 20:25
Astralcat wrote:
Apart from a few intrepid independent thinkers, most of you are all just STONES AND COMPASSES. That's it. No Spirit. It's like you wander around in your thick socks with your maps and agendas and just don't GET something so vital. SPIRIT. You need 'EVIDENCE'. Are you so boringly immune to the very real magic of these sacred places ? Sadly, it would seem so. You are all just wasting your time and gazing at rocks and arguing about the antiquity of large pebbles. Nothing more. No Soul. No Spirit.

There's a whole lot of presumption going on in that post AC. Just because someone doesn't spend their time writing about mystical-this and spiritual-that doesn't mean that they're "immune" to the magic of these places, just that maybe they don't choose to express that aspect in print. Because maybe they don't have the words and would actually much prefer to try to get other people out there to see for themselves. Not everyone wants to share their "feelings" about everything with everyone. Doesn't mean that they don't have feelings.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 20:29
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I believe they skipped around in stockings and suspenders singing 'my old mans a dustman'.

I refute your view. It was "roll out the barrel".
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 20:57
Mustard wrote:
Fact and speculation. Two very different things.

Quote from the 2013 Avebury and Stonehenge Combined Research Agenda:

"All the above questions lead inexorably to the Why? questions, although these are perhaps the first that come into most people’s minds. Why were these monuments built – why here, why then, why at all? What was their purpose? ... It can be tempting to propose grand schemes of interpretation, as if we have some special access into past world-views, but speculations, lacking a solid and testable evidential base, should not take the place of reasoned interpretation. That is not to say that that speculation has no value, since informed curiosity can suggest avenues for fruitful research, but answers need evidence, and it is through carefully considered research that such evidence is most effectively sought."

Seems reasonable to me - speculation creates ideas, research and resulting evidence tests those ideas.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/154292421/44-New-Combined-Research-Agenda-July-2013
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 31, 2013, 20:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Fact and speculation. Two very different things.

Quote from the 2013 Avebury and Stonehenge Combined Research Agenda:

"All the above questions lead inexorably to the Why? questions, although these are perhaps the first that come into most people’s minds. Why were these monuments built – why here, why then, why at all? What was their purpose? ... It can be tempting to propose grand schemes of interpretation, as if we have some special access into past world-views, but speculations, lacking a solid and testable evidential base, should not take the place of reasoned interpretation. That is not to say that that speculation has no value, since informed curiosity can suggest avenues for fruitful research, but answers need evidence, and it is through carefully considered research that such evidence is most effectively sought."

Seems reasonable to me - speculation creates ideas, research and resulting evidence tests those ideas.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/154292421/44-New-Combined-Research-Agenda-July-2013

Spot on.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2013, 21:56
Jul 31, 2013, 21:51
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Glastonbury IS a chakra!

To illustrate the utter pointlessness of this kind of assertion, i'll just say "No it isn't" and that I know that 3000 years ago it was covered in banana and cream trifle.

You won't shift me from that belief.

Its my life illusion, metaphysical, garden gnomic view.

I really don't know why you have to talk to people like this. I'm going to defend Astralcat because, although I've not met him, know him to be a good, compassionate person who fights vigorously against injustice - whether it be people with disabilities, whales being slaughtered or badgers being killed etc, ect ... a very long list indeed. What does it matter what someone believes about Glastonbury, what is with all this 'prove it' shit. How about a little bit of inclusive courtesy.

That applies to Mustard too, lecturing people about humility ... talk about pot - kettle.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

OT - Opinion-as-fact vs objective discussion
Jul 31, 2013, 22:08
tjj wrote:
What does it matter what someone believes about Glastonbury, what is with all this 'prove it' shit.

Hi tjj, unless I've misunderstood, I don't think anyone's saying that it matters what someone "believes" about Glastonbury at all.

I think what's causing the disagreement is when what someone believes starts to be asserted as fact. "I believe Glastonbury to be a chakra" is a very different statement to "Glastonbury IS a chakra".

Quite often threads on here descend into arguments because opinion starts to become entrenched and then argued as fact. And once someone's opinion is stated as fact, it is likely to be challenged, whereas generally peoples' beliefs won't be challenged in the same way (because they're simply beliefs, thus entirely subjective).

And then the proponent of the original belief-as-fact gets upset because essentially someone appears to be questioning their beliefs, when actually what is being challenged is the assertion that those beliefs are fact.

We have had this time and time again on here and it's only going to keep happening unless people express personal beliefs as "I believe that ..." rather than "it is the case that ...".
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index