Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Glastonbury resident antiquarians and festival,.
Aug 01, 2013, 10:48
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

But in my experience and to my mind they ARE. They are MY personal facts. Maybe not yours. some of yours are not mine. Isn't that allowed ?

Personal facts aren't facts they are personal beliefs.

If it's something I have experienced it is a personal fact.

So would you care to clarify the difference between a "personal fact" and an actual fact?

Personal is actual. No problem.

Erm... not it isn't. If I personally experience Jesus Christ offering me a cigarette, I think we can be fairly sure that it didn't actually happen.

Why not ? How do you know beyond all doubt that it could not happen ?

I'm pretty sure JC didn't smoke ready-mades.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:49
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

But in my experience and to my mind they ARE. They are MY personal facts. Maybe not yours. some of yours are not mine. Isn't that allowed ?

Yes it is. A personal fact, which, since it's personal to you, not me, is a personal belief not a fact.

I'm fine with that. To you it's my belief, to me, it's my fact.

Which is a misuse of language.

If you say so. Semantics again.

That's a bit rich coming from someone who's spent half the morning attempting to twist the meaning of the word "fact" to fit his personal beliefs system ;)

I'm not twisting anything. I just don't agree with you.

So if someone insists on the correct use of the word "fact", then they're playing semantics? Whereas if you insist that beliefs are facts, then that isn't semantics? Can't have it both ways.

You don't get it. If something happens in my own personal reality, genuine experiences, then to me they are personal facts.
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:49
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Yes it is. A personal fact, which, since it's personal to you, not me, is a personal belief not a fact.

That's a bit rich coming from someone who's spent half the morning attempting to twist the meaning of the word "fact" to fit his personal beliefs system ;)

So if someone insists on the correct use of the word "fact", then they're playing semantics? Whereas if you insist that beliefs are facts, then that isn't semantics? Can't have it both ways.

You don't get it. If something happens in my own personal reality, genuine experiences, then to me they are personal facts.

Semantics ;)
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:50
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

So would you care to clarify the difference between a "personal fact" and an actual fact?

Erm... not it isn't. If I personally experience Jesus Christ offering me a cigarette, I think we can be fairly sure that it didn't actually happen.

Why not ? How do you know beyond all doubt that it could not happen ?

I'm pretty sure JC didn't smoke ready-mades.

He might now ? Who knows ? Visiting the earth plane again is bound to make him a little tense.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:51
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Semantics ;)

Opinions :-)
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:52
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Semantics ;)

Semantics again ;)

See how this works? If someone disagrees with you, it must be semantics ;)
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:53
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Why do you persist when it so obviously isn't?
E.g. when your drunk you see an alien on your sofa and when you sober up it's a ginger cat. Your earlier "personal" was demonstrably not "actual".

Of course not. That is not the type of experience I am referring to. If you undertake a spiritual discipline or magical working, for example, you get tangible results in material/physical reality. Now this is a fact.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:56
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Semantics ;)

Semantics again ;)

See how this works? If someone disagrees with you, it must be semantics ;)

It's a wavelength thing :-)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:57
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Glastonbury IS a chakra!

To illustrate the utter pointlessness of this kind of assertion, i'll just say "No it isn't" and that I know that 3000 years ago it was covered in banana and cream trifle.

You won't shift me from that belief.

Its my life illusion, metaphysical, garden gnomic view.

I really don't know why you have to talk to people like this. I'm going to defend Astralcat because, although I've not met him, know him to be a good, compassionate person who fights vigorously against injustice - whether it be people with disabilities, whales being slaughtered or badgers being killed etc, ect ... a very long list indeed. What does it matter what someone believes about Glastonbury, what is with all this 'prove it' shit. How about a little bit of inclusive courtesy.

That applies to Mustard too, lecturing people about humility ... talk about pot - kettle.

I wasn't attacking so theres no need for you to leap to the 'defence' of anybody. I was illustrating a point, rather light-heartedly I thought.

I tend to ignore your posts in general, they're either fawning or ill conceived, often both, so if you could ignore mine we'll both be happy.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 01, 2013, 10:58
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Glastonbury IS a chakra!

To illustrate the utter pointlessness of this kind of assertion, i'll just say "No it isn't" and that I know that 3000 years ago it was covered in banana and cream trifle.

You won't shift me from that belief.

Its my life illusion, metaphysical, garden gnomic view.

I really don't know why you have to talk to people like this. I'm going to defend Astralcat because, although I've not met him, know him to be a good, compassionate person who fights vigorously against injustice - whether it be people with disabilities, whales being slaughtered or badgers being killed etc, ect ... a very long list indeed. What does it matter what someone believes about Glastonbury, what is with all this 'prove it' shit. How about a little bit of inclusive courtesy.

That applies to Mustard too, lecturing people about humility ... talk about pot - kettle.

I wasn't attacking so theres no need for you to leap to the 'defence' of anybody. I was illustrating a point, rather light-heartedly I thought.

I tend to ignore your posts in general, they're either fawning or ill conceived, often both, so if you could ignore mine we'll both be happy.

Charming.
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index