Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 03, 2009, 14:38
tjj wrote:
moss wrote:
The 'P' word, I would recommend buying Christopher Alexander's (architect) four books on the Order of Nature - pricey at £40 quid a time, for those who don't understand this lovely vague concept of phenomenology. I had to fork out for them for my sons computer course, so of course read them from cover to cover ;).

But Richard Bradley is good as well, (Tiompan scepticism here) " The Significance of Monuments"... and that was what immediately struck me watching SofS, Bradley's particular theory of 'dead houses' being left to rot amongst the 'living' houses in Denmark.

Now either you can take on board the concept of this, With the proposed theory of a 'death' zone and a 'living' zone at Stonehenge, or you can believe Darvill and Wainwright that Stonehenge is a place for healing.
Either way what really counts at the MPP excavation was all the stuff painstakingly uncovered in the hot sun by the students, etc, and the report that will come out several years hence as to the dating of the pottery, bones etc. It might come with a theory attached but at least it will have some backup.......

Moss, I liked the above post a lot and especially the phrase "for those who don't understand this lovely vague concept of phenomenology" - I keep seeing the word phenomenon everywhere now, certainly in the current book I'm reading. I'll be honest, I don't get it but no doubt the penny will drop once the term starts to sound more familiar.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't mind watching the TT programme again in light of the comments made here; I'm sure that something which took some much time and effort to make will be repeated at some stage.

It's not entirely P but can I reccomend Lakoff and Johnson's "Philosophy in the flesh " or "Metatphors we live by " to get an appreciation how much our bodies are involved in reasoning and cognition and not just out barin . This of course has nothing to do with white , middle aged ,middle class , educated blokes with beards and a liking for booze looking at prehistoric monuments and imagining what it was like for the punters who built them .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index