The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge and its Environs »
The Secrets of Stonehenge

71 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: TMA contributes to archaeological theory...
Jun 03, 2009, 14:11
Pilgrim wrote:
Hey Goff,

I know what you mean - dare I say it looks a bit hit and miss? :) Or more precisely "hit and mess it up past the point of being redeemable"? IIRC Mike Pitts did something like this in his Stonehenge thing.

Personally, I think anyone that came with getting the stones to where they are (and feel free to insert *whatever transport mechanism floats your bluestone* here) would NOT require such an approach as A-frames. To my mind - or what passes for it these days - it seems too involved/over-engineered.

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Howdy, young fella! How you doing?

Yeah - the "hit and miss" thing is pretty much what I'm aiming at here. Is that a pun - if so - none intended! ;)

I have seen someone swinging a rock at a bigger rock on telly previously, but remember thinking then that, surely you'd want something less random - and indeed more powerful - than a rock being swung from an A-frame.

Maybe even a rock in some sort of sling would have more power and precision. One that you can just swing over your shoulder and crack bits off the bigger rock. Sort of like a hammer but with rope instead of a handle.

You can tell I've looked into this, with all my expert terminology and research! ;) Arf!

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index