The Secrets of Stonehenge

71 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gwass
193 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 02, 2009, 13:32
megadread wrote:
Well what a waste of an hour and half i'll never get back.
They solved nothing and proved nothing.
I think MPP has invested that much time in his particular theory he's now looking for evidence that fits it rather than taking the evidence he finds and looking at the bigger picture with an open mind.
There's not a shred of evidence that Durrington and stonehenge were linked, that's just his opinion, me, i don't buy it for a second.
The only good that came out of this programme was finding the new feature at the end of the avenue.
I've nothing personal against MPP but i can't wait for the next generation of archaeologists to get their hands on the site, if they ever do that is now it's been "solved."

Like others I thoroughly enjoyed the programme. I thought MPP's theory made a lot of sense particularly when you consider the lack of any credible alternatives. (Including the centre of healing theory recently proposed by Darvill and Wainwright in my opinion).

The fact that 2 of the grandest sites in the country, built at the same time and 2 miles apart weren't linked seems inconceivable especially with the discovery of the durrington avenue.

Being someone who tries to get all the books and info I can on the site from what I can make out the likes of MPP, Mike Pitts, Julian Thomas, Colin Richards and Joshua Pollard seem to be the leading authorities on the subject.

I would be generally interested to find out who these next generation archaeoloists are and what their theories are as I'm surprised I've not heard of them.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index