71 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 03, 2009, 09:07
moss wrote:
The 'P' word, I would recommend buying Christopher Alexander's (architect) four books on the Order of Nature - pricey at £40 quid a time, for those who don't understand this lovely vague concept of phenomenology. I had to fork out for them for my sons computer course, so of course read them from cover to cover ;).

But Richard Bradley is good as well, (Tiompan scepticism here) " The Significance of Monuments"... and that was what immediately struck me watching SofS, Bradley's particular theory of 'dead houses' being left to rot amongst the 'living' houses in Denmark.

Now either you can take on board the concept of this, With the proposed theory of a 'death' zone and a 'living' zone at Stonehenge, or you can believe Darvill and Wainwright that Stonehenge is a place for healing.
Either way what really counts at the MPP excavation was all the stuff painstakingly uncovered in the hot sun by the students, etc, and the report that will come out several years hence as to the dating of the pottery, bones etc. It might come with a theory attached but at least it will have some backup.......

Hi Moss , I wouldn't include Richard in the P camp . I've nothing against P either , the whole concept of later P and embodiment is central to a couple of my favourite writers , lakoff & Johnson . It's just when it is applied to British archaeology we seem to get P lite and a lot of waffle .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index