71 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 02, 2009, 14:11
moss wrote:
Well perhaps one word will give a clue to exploration..'phenomenological', this perhaps is where some of the new archaeologists are coming from, experiencing the landscape through a 'thought' process of what it might have been like at that particular time of history.. It is a subjective approach, the old objective 'interpretation' of earlier archaeology has been dissed for a new modern approach;).. Julian Thomas is a phenomenologist I believe, cant say about the others, and I think MPP has been criticised to some extent for a reliance on other cultures to interpret Stonehenge... in the game of theories you can never arrive at an ultimate truth, unless of course you're Dr.Who...

I think if the next generation become any more phenomenological then MPP will seen as comparatively acceptable . Hopefully there will be a reaction and maybe a return to the less subjective .A more objective approach like Anthony Johnson might be a start although he is a wee bit too established to be considered "new generation "
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index