The Secrets of Stonehenge

71 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 02, 2009, 07:15
Apparently, Mike Pitts thinks that if you had people with large poles you could propel large stones along. If you had enough of them you could "practically row it along". Hhhmmmm .... that sounds familiar!

I enjoyed the program and only screamed a couple of times at the gogglebox. I actually think the link is there between Durrington and Stonehenge - the similar radiocarbon dates say that much. However, I don't agree with the conclusions. If you excavate a church and its graveyard you find a place for the dead and a temple for use by the living that celebrates life. Why should this be different? Probably only to fit in with your theory, that's why.

The erosion marks in the top of the avenue were interesting. I know they are natural, but surely the got their sequence wrong. They reckon they were caused by water running between two natural banks. Well, why couldn't they have been formed by water running down between two manmade banks? There's no evidence of two natural banks, but we know there were two manmade ones! I was at an ancient roadway on a steep hillside this weekend in Mayo and the ground was scarred with similar grooves down its length. Granted, these grooves were in the soil that had accumulated since the road went out of use (about 150 years ago), but the effect was the same.

What is great is that a project of this scale found funding. The new finds are amazing: stones at the end of the avenue, possible mortuary structures, the huge road from Durrington to the river & the sheer scale of the housing around Durrington.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index