Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 03, 2009, 01:24
Re: The Secrets of Stonehenge
Jun 03, 2009, 00:21
nigelswift wrote:
"or is this just another method of making the subject of archaeology inaccessible to all but the sanctified few."

Well,
during the 1920s it spread to Australia, France, Hungary, The Netherlands and Flanders, Poland, and the United States and to research on communicology (then called symbolism), education, music, and religion; and during the 1930s it spread to Czechoslovakia, Italy, Korea, and Yugoslavia and to research on architecture, literature, and theater. Right after World War II, phenomenology then spread to Portugal, Scandinavia, and South Africa, and also to research on ethnicity, film, gender, and politics; in the 1960s and 1970s it spread to Canada, China, and India and to dance, geography, law, and psychology; and, finally, in the 1980s and 1990s it spread to Great Britain and also to ecology, ethnology, medicine, and nursing. In view of its continual development and its spread into other disciplines as well as across the planet, phenomenology is arguably the most significant philosophical movement in the 20th century "

so no, it probably isn't just another method of making the subject of archaeology inaccessible to all but the sanctified few!
;)

That's very interesting Nigel, thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain, though much of what you have written was in the link of my earlier post. I readily admit to it being a concept I had not heard of until today; but then there is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing something and admitting that you didn't know. That is surely how we learn.

The Oxford dictionary simply says "the science of phenomena; description and classification of phenomena".
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index