NEO-NAZI RALLY ALLOWED TO GO AHEAD IN AVEBURY

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: NEO-NAZI RALLY ALLOWED TO GO AHEAD IN AVEBURY
Apr 24, 2007, 17:59
every one is free to use the site for religious needs. You dont permission to stand there a pray do you.

Last year (or was it the year before?) there was some such Christian 'need' to pray in the Avebury Circle - it struck me as more a political statement than a religious one however. Same thing happened at Callanish last year - Christians felt the 'need' to make their presence known during a non-Christian event at a place meaningful to non-Christians.

Of course, you could argue that Druids and pagans have no more right pray at Avebury than anyone else - you might be right; difference is that Druids and pagans don't have many places to call their own and Avebury sort of fits the bill. Seems to me that while Druids may not have had anything to do with the construction of Avebury, latter-day Druids and pagans are probably more 'connected' to the place than any other religious/spiritual group. Christians, neo-Nazis, and those who follow the Germanic mythological tradition, certainly have no historical connection to the Avebury Circle but they do have their own churches, parade grounds and places with names derived from the Germanic pantheon - I suggest they go there to worship and leave Avebury well alone.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index