Megameet Picnic

169 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Megameet Picnic
Jan 15, 2006, 18:56
Just to confirm that a few folks from here, the Stones List and the Megalithic Portal are getting together for an informal picnic at Avebury from around noon on Saturday, 5 August. This is a totally informal gathering of like-minded souls so just turn up and join in (or not join in) as the whim takes you. If you want to sound off for 5 minutes or so on your favourite stony subject I'm sure no-one will mind too much.

We thought the best place for the picnic would be in the north-east sector of the Avebury circle, a little east from the two stones that form the Cove, and roughly within the red circle that you'll find at -

http://uk8.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&X=410250&Y=170000&width=700&height=400&gride=410315.652321189&gridn=170065.413757362&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&pc=&zm=1&scale=10000

For those who don't know Avebury, the Cove is close to the Red Lion Pub (to which we can retreat if the weather turns bad ;-) and about ten minutes from the Stones vegetarian restaurant, museums and National Trust shop. There are a few B&B's in and around Avebury for anyone planning to stay overnight, or there's the campsite at the Barge Inn, Honey Street, Alton Barnes, which is a drive of about twenty minutes from Avebury.

If anyone has more information on local B&Bs, campsites, pubs, restaurants and other interesting places to visit in the area please feel free to post it here.

Littlestone

PS Hope you <i>will</i> turn up Pete; you and I have had plenty of disagreements over the years but I've always respected you intimate knowledge of Avebury and the surrounding area. Same applies to anyone else I've disagreed with over the years. It's fun to have lively, heated debates but life's too short to hold grudges and harbour dislikes for too long. There's a roast chicken and six bottles of premium grade sake on offer - what more can I do :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index