Graffiti at WKLB.
This topic is locked

168 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

sidetracking
Apr 06, 2005, 13:18
I totally agree with you Jane. I think we're being led off the point, which is that damaging irreplaceable ancient sites is a Very Bad Thing, whether you scratch your initials or chalk esoteric symbols on them.

I don't think it's possible to reclaim/reeducate whatever regarding the swastika, because it's just too short a time between nazi Germany and now. If you leave it another hundred years, maybe. But now, it's impossible and undesirable, because there are loads of people alive who were involved in the war, and loads of people who have close relatives who died in it. You can't make a 180* turn in the meaning of a symbol just like that.

I'd go and pick another one if I were you, to symbolise Love and Peace. Unless of course you live in India and swastikas have long been part of your heritage. Ok you sometimes see them in the borders of Roman mosaics here. But it's not that widely used in this culture - probably why hitler picked it in the first place? because it didn't come attached with a popular understanding?

In fact, if I like British/Irish prehistoric monuments so much, I think I'd pick a symbol off some rock art. But that's just my opinion, whatever.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index