This topic is locked

168 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Reclaiming unacceptable symbols
Apr 06, 2005, 07:56
As Mr Croley has set such a precedent in attempting to reclaim what are generally perceived as unacceptable images, I thought it might be time to reclaim another that some find offensive...

We all know that some children swear in an effort to upset their parents. The parent's imidiate reaction is frequently to stop the child, which encourages the child to do so all the more.

The word "cunt", for example, has been misused for centuries, and can be traced way back to Pagan origins (see "The Modern Antiquarian" - an educational pamphlet by Julian Cope. I'll not quote it here, as it seems we like to keep one another guessing. "If you don't know about it then you're just ignorant")

It is my view that by encouraging swearing, it will lessen the impact of the word, making it less big and less clever.

I wonder, therefore, if Mr Croley would think it acceptable if we were to reclaim this particular word, and chalk it on places he deems to be of equal reverence to the places he thinks it alright to draw swastikas.

I could take a 400 square foot purple model of the word "cunt" around with me to gauge the reaction I get. I bet none of us would be surprised by it. I'd not come on here expecting sympathy. Even if I were to claim "the lizards made me do it!"

For the record, I don't think you're a nazi. I think you're deliberately misunderstanding the reason why people are pissed off with your behaviour. If you're so convinced you're right and we're ignorant and don't understand and we're idiots - explain yourself!

Personally, I think your reluctance to explain is indicative of your uncertainty as to your "truth" and acceptability. I just think you're misguided. Convince me otherwise and I'll be equally as happy.

I wish peace and love and that on everyone, but it's cos I'm a nice bloke. I won't force it on people. My idea of happiness is probably certainly not everybody's...

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index