This topic is locked

168 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TreeHouse
TreeHouse
8 posts

Re: Graffiti at WKLB.
Apr 05, 2005, 00:40
I went up to the WKLB today with a torch and have two things to report. 1) I didn't find any swastikas but i did find some badly drawn number fours and an X. 2) There were some swirly chalk marks there as well (nothing recognisable). Furthermore, some idiot has also been chalking "I was here" on the stones at avebury, although this has presumably been going on for a long time because the lichen on one stone (the biggie by the road to swindon) was growing in an 'I woz ere' formation. Well done idiot.

Whoever the original perpetrator of the "swastikas" was, and whatever their intention (however religious or profound), they should be aware of the monkey-see, monkey-do behaviour that their example might encourage. Monkey sees chalk marks on the ancient stone, monkey makes some of his own chalk marks. I WOZ ERE. ERE I WOZ. Brilliant.

In a similar vein, on my last visit to Avebury, some people who couldn't read the signs were flying a kite up on top of Silbury Hill. Yes, I'd like to go up there too, but I don't because I'm not selfish enough to think that its ok for me to break the rules (which are there for good reasons) but not for anyone else to. My few footfalls might not lead to much erosion, but if a few million people a year had the same thought (and there are that many visitors who stop to look) there wouldn't be much left of this magnificent site.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index