The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbaby »
Silbaby -a plea.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Re: Question for Steve Gray (and others)
Nov 26, 2004, 14:39
Now you're getting the idea. I wouldn't recommend using Time Team, they're useful when its something you already know quite a lot about but not in this situation.
I'm sure between us we can come up with all sorts of ways to find out about this in non-invasive ways. Get your thinking caps on and remember the old ways
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Question for Steve Gray (and others)
Nov 26, 2004, 14:43
Good site for owls probably.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Silbaby -a plea.
Nov 26, 2004, 15:20
Why not hire a skip and go down and clear away the mess?

Make a big deal about it to the press - "we have lost patience it is obvious that care is a lip service only round here" while you are on you can also say that we even think the hill is an ancient monument, say we approached EH about it and they did not seem interested etc.

At the same time put in a lottery grant application for a range of non intrusive investigations to take place and for some signage.

I take it we have asked EH if they know anything about it?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Council reply
Nov 26, 2004, 16:09
Someone from the council visited the site and confirmed there is recent fly tipping but thinks that it has been done by the landowner so nothing can be done.
They think it unlikely that there is any contamination but will keep an eye on it.
PeteG
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Re: Silbaby -a plea.
Nov 26, 2004, 16:47
Now you're talking. I knew you'd come up with something good
Grendel
317 posts

Re: No Joy then?
Nov 26, 2004, 17:58
Not strictly true - if the landowner is located he can be forced to remove fly tipping on their land but that is a last resort. There are other powers.

Of course if the profile of the site is raised (no pun intended) then the presence of the fly tipping could become embarassing enough to warrant swifter action.

Cheers

G
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Council reply
Nov 26, 2004, 18:22
Whether the landowner is doing it or not, the fact there's access means others will be attracted to do so, and perhaps on a very big scale one night.

Let's face it, we're the ones that think it might be something, and the various authorities can't/won't act so it's down to us.
We could write to the owner (or HA could if they're agreeable) politely explaining that we think it "could" be something ancient, and offering to help in some way if he was willing?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Council reply
Nov 26, 2004, 19:03
I think thats the best idea.
If HA write to David Hues at Galteemore farm, Beckhampton that would be a start.
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: No Joy then?
Nov 26, 2004, 19:20
>There are other powers.
Sounds sinister.
Archaeo Man! :)
PeteG
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 26, 2004, 20:01
I re-read Whittles 1991 Antiquity paper last night and have nothing further to add to the knowlege of Silbaby but Whittles comments are interesting and reflect other views expressed here.

"To have missed one enclosure so near to other major monuments may have been bad luck, but to miss two begins to look like carelessness".

"The full extent of the archaeological records in this flagship area are not known, simply because we have not systematically examined them".
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index