Silbaby -a plea.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 25, 2004, 14:48
Dave Field showed me the EH plan of excavated sites in that area when he visited.
One arm of the palisade finished within feet of the mound.
Dave said it made him wonder if the theories that the arms of the enclosure pointed to EKLB were wrong and that they in fact pointed towards the mound and spring.
PeteG
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 25, 2004, 15:20
Blimey - you're right, those long straight bits really do point at the mound. Does Dave Field work for EH? or did he do the excavations? and he Believes??
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 25, 2004, 16:49
Yes Dave works at EH.
He was more impressed with the spring and the pond.
He is looking into the records to see if he can find out what the building was in the woods and then try to work backwards in time to see what he can find.
PeteG
Grendel
317 posts

Re: Silbaby - fly tipping
Nov 25, 2004, 18:18
If the Council are like most councils they will try everything to avoid removing the fly tipping if it is on private land.

Looking at the material in jimit's picture it looks like bricks. The best way to remove these would be by JCB (but that would then need a wagon) or by using a crane mounted on a wagon. Either method may damage the site.

Of course if the site is not scheduled then the only legal recourse I would guess would be criminal damage but the Council would only remove the fly tipping with the permission of the landowner. The Council then have a statutory defence to criminal damage.

Grimly,

G
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Fridges - fly tipping
Nov 25, 2004, 20:57
There are at least 2 fridges in amongst the debri.
Isn't that a CFC hazard?
PeteG
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Re: Fridges - fly tipping
Nov 25, 2004, 21:41
If they're old ones yes it certainly is
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 25, 2004, 21:51
'Dirty Man of Europe' The bin men know that fridges need special decommissioning and that there's none so they just leave them at the roadside. I can infer that you've not seen a British city for several years as these objects are clogging back lanes and streets all over - http://www.davidaspinall.co.uk/fold!!/week_6/fold!!39.jpg
Grendel
317 posts

Nov 25, 2004, 22:05
The insulating foam and cooling system are likely to contain ozone depleting substances but that wouldn't induce rapid clearance unfortunately.

Asbestos sheeting might speed things along a bit a risk assessment would be done regarding public access etc.

A council will always try to get the landowner to clear the stuff first - best out of his pocket rather than the council tax payers.

G
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

No Joy then?
Nov 25, 2004, 22:37
So basicaly no one will bother doing anything and the fly tipping will continue?
Eventualy Silbaby disappears below rubbish and future archaeos will say "What mound?"
:(
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 25, 2004, 22:39
>I can infer that you've not seen a British city for several years.

About 6 years since I went into a city I think.
PeteG
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index