Silbaby -a plea.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re WK palisaded enclosures
Nov 28, 2004, 07:32
WK palisaded enclosures; post 33349. If I was a betting person, I'd say that silbaby comes from the saxon period. Some clues, near to a manor complex, which mostly go back to anglo saxon land boundaries. Its also bounded by a roman road, which I believe kinks in somewhere round here away from the modern road...... and according to my Andrew and Dury map, was'nt there a mill down the road at Overton. All signs of a continuous settlement pattern; there again could be completely wrong.
Moss
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Re WK palisaded enclosures
Nov 28, 2004, 09:46
Are there any signs of a Great Enclosure enclosing the old manor ? Patches of hedge often survive which show as characteristic sweeps on the Victorian 6" OS.

The limpet shape of the hill suggests prehistoric origin but folk memories of middens - tipping sites for refuse - are very long. A 25" town hall map would yield the dimensions of Silbaby quite simply - a rough approximation could be made from the present 6" survey.

One direction of ultimate proof lies on the azimuth defined by Thom as between the Sanctuary and Silbury Hill. From the Sanctuary *now* (09:24) the moon will be seen setting behind Silbury. (In Newcastle it sank into a bank of cloud half an hour since). Tomorrow, perhaps an hour later, the alignment will be closer. The weather forecast is for a frosty night followed by a bright morning. I don't think this alignment has been 'tested' for two or three thousand years. (Thom & Thom just surveyed the alignments and didn't actually test any).
Grendel
317 posts

Re: Council reply
Nov 28, 2004, 10:31
fly tipping breeds
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Hows about...
Nov 28, 2004, 11:06
I'd like to join you all at a meet up on the weekend of Dec 11/12th, but I thought you'd agreed with goffik for it to be on Sunday 12th.

baz
baza
baza
1308 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 11:11
>Re. Silbaby....how high is it ?

My GPS gave an elevation of 508 feet for the top of the mound.

Haven't taken a reading from the bottom.

baz
baza
baza
1308 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 11:12
You can't get the staff nowadays.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 11:44
If the Roman road has a kink in it, doesn't that suggest that might have been something in the way - Silbaby perhaps?
baza
baza
1308 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 12:24
The small kink in the Roman road as it passes over the southern end of Waden Hill brings the road nearer to Silbaby.

Through my eyes, standing at the top of Silbaby, the 'mound' appears simply to be a part of Waden Hill. It's only when I stand at the base of Silbaby and look up that it appears to be a manmade feature.

baz
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 13:05
I didn't get the impression that it was just a natural extension to Waden, as it's slopes curve back towards Waden, suggesting a degree of artificiality at least. Also, see this -
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/33377
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 28, 2004, 13:45
If you look on the Oldmap site at Avebury (1889) the river seems to fold back on itself here, or at least may have been enlarged for some reason; the pond? which could have meant dredging. This river after all is a winterbourne one, and the farm would have needed lots of water. Also the spring line, can be followed by the line of wells that appear from the cottages at the entrance to WKLB to the Manor Farm ......
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index