The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbaby »
Silbaby -a plea.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Question for Steve Gray (and others)
Nov 26, 2004, 13:17
"My thought was that if we put a tall pole on top with a fixed length of string and then walked round on the slope of the mound holding the string taught and placed marker sticks..... or something?"

I think the time for that would be May 1st. ;o)

Seriously, though, the pole would have to be very securely mounted (driven in) to the top in order to avoid it moving when the string is tensioned and the undergrowth would probably get in the way of the string. Maybe we could do a GPS survey and possibly geophys if anyone has access to the equipment. George might be able to help; he was talking about running a geophys workshop near Thornborough. The snag is all that fly-tipping is likely to make geophys difficult.

I like the Time Team idea. It would make great TV. Even though Silbaby is part of the WHS, it's a sadly neglected part. If TT were turned down by NT/EH we could have a publicity field day along the lines of, "If it's not important then where's the problem and if it is important then why is it being so badly neglected?"
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 13:24
"I like the Time Team idea. It would make great TV. Even though Silbaby is part of the WHS, it's a sadly neglected part. If TT were turned down by NT/EH we could have a publicity field day..."

I agree Steve. Problem is that everything I've heard seems to say TT are difficult to interest. Worth a try tho.

love

Moth
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

NO TT
Nov 26, 2004, 13:29
They wouldn't get the permission to do anything around here.
PeteG
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 13:31
Didn't PeteG say Silbaby is on private land, its nothing to do with NT. Try contacting WHS officer to see what she thinks........?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 13:33
What about..... years ago I used to do arch.drawing,when we did walls(this was monastic) you would use trig points on the ground and on the paper, well instead of measuring the mound itself the trig points would have to be all round the mound and then worked inwards towards the mound.
Don't you need permission by the way to go on private land??
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 13:38
"Problem is that everything I've heard seems to say TT are difficult to interest. Worth a try tho."

They'll need to know what's there first, so they can switch on the cameras and find it!
Also, their instinct would be to dig a big hole - we wouldn't want that, would we?

Talking of holes, I don't recall it being full of rabbit holes. Maybe it's the vibes. (Or maybe someone actually knows how to keep them controlled!!!)
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 13:45
Yes, actually, I'd forgotten about that way of doing it. It just shows how quickly old knowledge is tossed aside in favour of new technology. No wonder we've forgotten how to move megaliths.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Site visit & photos
Nov 26, 2004, 13:58
Hi MJB,
I thought it was you :)
Maybe another site visit would be in order whilst all the nettles and stuff are down?
I'll check out the Yatesbury microlight centre and see if I can get a flight one day soon when the weather and light is good.
I last flew over it in August and have some pics that show
crop marks at the palisdae site
if you email me on [email protected] I'll send you some.
PeteG
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 26, 2004, 14:16
I can understand your cynicism but you don't know me, I don't have a metal detector and I'd never dream of digging an important site without investigating all possibilities first
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 26, 2004, 14:26
Who said you would?
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index