Silbaby -a plea.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: West Kennett enclosures
Nov 26, 2004, 20:55
The front cover of 'Avebury: Biography of a landscape' By Pollard and Reynolds has a repro of a map by Rev. AC Smith from 1884, which has the words 'The Great Bank' In just the right place, but no earthwork features are drawn, only the trees.

So I guess it may have been there in 1884. Presumably something at least slightly banklike was.
paul1970
paul1970
111 posts

Time to call in the psychic detective???
Nov 26, 2004, 21:18
Im sure many of you would be rather skeptical of the thought of asking somebody to 'psychically' investigating Silbaby..but seeing as 'Dowsing' as already been suggested why not??, there seems to be a large number of folks on this site with who are 'spiritually minded' and somebody should know someone who could visit Silbaby and competently describe the impressions they recieve...

If Derek Acorah can do it in an old Cinema, then why not somebody do the same for that big mound of earth thats soon to dissapear under several hundred ton of shite...

I know the authorities would most probably laugh at any information given by such means but hey, you never know!!!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Na !
Nov 26, 2004, 21:36
Best to stick with reality.
PeteG
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Hows about...
Nov 26, 2004, 22:03
The Silbaby Archaeo-challenge.

Get all the psychics, dowsers, geofizzers and anyone who has a pole, some rope and a clear head, to each demonstrate their particular method. First team to conclusively prove anything about the age of Silbaby gets a prize.

Possibly a Genuine Neolithic* replica of King Sil (made from plastic).

*as advertised on e-bay, under flints/beads etc.

Nb: I already have my coat on.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 26, 2004, 22:22
Don't forget your hat!
;)
PeteG
lithop
38 posts

Nov 27, 2004, 00:53
Re. 1889 map....was the blue area dug out at sometime or is it a natural feature?....it doesn't seem to fit the natural flow of the river....Is it very close to Silbaby? http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/silbaby.html
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 27, 2004, 01:05
I don't know, I have a Colte-Hoare map which shows it differently and has the spring marked as Swallowhead.
It seems to be a bit vague as no one seems to have had a good look at it.
It maybe a somewhat modern fearure as MJB suggested to do with landscaping at the Manor house.
The Girt Bank thing is also interesting, it is marked on a painting in Trowbridge and shows a large built up bank on the side of the road with Spring pump a short distance away from where the top of the mound is now.
What happened to the Bank I wonder?
Was it cleared and dumped to form Silbaby?
Whatever, it is a bit of a mystery in that little bit of land.
PeteG
BTW I like you website, did you use Vista Pro for the reconstruction pic?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 27, 2004, 01:17
Another map from the Red Lion shows a house next to the mound with a well below it.
http://peteglastonbury.ic24.net/SilMap.jpg
and a similar layout of the river.
The problem is that that there are blind springs which pop up and flood this whole field below Silbaby so any map maker in the past would have a problem plotting its real course.
PeteG
pixie1948
pixie1948
171 posts

Nov 27, 2004, 01:17
The car engine's warmed up, when are we going :D
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Nov 27, 2004, 01:22
well I'm there almost everyday so anytime you want to join in and wander around let me know!
Today I found an old Microwave in the hedgerow in the centre of the Palisade enclosure, not sure how old it is
but I bet its not bronze aged :)
PeteG
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index