Nishinihon / Higashinihon

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Eating beaver
Jun 27, 2004, 08:51
Sorry AQ I never answered your question.
Better late than never.
T
he Anatolia trip was a family holiday, whilst negotiating where to go I agreed on Turkey because I thought there would be some prehistory to get to grips with (I was pushing Malta but the family rebelled because they knew I would be constantly disappearing - they were right of course).
Anyway we went to southern Anatolia. The Hittites are there but they are hidden beneath many layers of Lycians, Persians, Ptolemian, Greek, Roman and Seljuk Turk cultures. The echoes are there but they are faint.
I visited Perge and walked in the footsteps of Alexander and St Paul and hung out with Artemis at her spring, I checked out the Romano/Greco theatre at Aspendos and caught an echo of the Hittites in the Trfuss marked coinage of the city, I also spent a beautiful evening in the temple of Apollo at Side.
I contemplated a trip further north but the chaotic Turkish roads put me off.

I get the vibe that it's definitely all there, the Atlas mountains feeding the beautiful, super-fertile coastal plain with huge turquoise rivers, the silk road from Syria, the lovely Turks themselves, their warm humour, their awareness of their ancient homeland on the Steppes, the music, the food.
...nice.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index