23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2016, 23:27
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE
Aug 28, 2016, 23:06
Satan's Circus – Death In Vegas
It sounds a little grandiose to say that Satan's Circus is one of the best album's of the century so I'll tone it down a little and just say that this is one of my fave post-2000 releases. There are some great moments in a 70's Kosmiche kinda-way and there's one track, Zugaga, that even opens like a Trans -Europe Express pastiche before finding its own way. The opening Ein Für Die Damen is an absolute killer but the track that really did it for me this week is the aptly titled Sons of Rother. I've lost count of of how many times I've played it this past week.

The Power Of Love – Captain Sensible
I absolutely loved the Capt's 1st solo LP, Women & Captain's First, when it came out but this follow-up seemed a bit of a disappointment at the time. It improved with age though and Glad It's All Over is an absolute pop classic.

Abbey Road EP – Spiritualized
I don't really listen to Spiritulaized that often these days but this sounded great. Time to dig out some old faves I think.

Wilder – Teardrop Explodes
Tiny Children and The Great Dominions are the two of the most important records in my life and they still sound special

Waiting For A Sign – Githead
Wire – Wire
Two of the most recent Wire related releases. The Githead one slipped out almost un-noticed in the xmas hullabaloo the year before last, which is a shame because like other Githead releases there are some great basslines and lovely tunes. Last year's eponymous album is Wire's best in some time.

Also...
Poison Arrow (45) – ABC

Sugar Sugar (45) – The Archies

Magical Mystery Tour – The Beatles
Abbey Road – The Beatles

Devil's Tavern - Blow Monkeys

The Jean Genie (45) – David Bowie
Scary Monsters – David Bowie

Sub-Lingual Tablet – The Fall

Dare – Human League

Ash & Ice - The Kills

S/T - The Lucid Dream