Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2016, 10:56
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE
Aug 28, 2016, 10:56
Beethoven - Piano Trios 1-6 (Decided to investigate an area of LVB's oeuvre I hadn't tried yet, but these only occasionally grabbed me. Does anyone else find that despite having been brought up appreciating and loving many great works of classical music, a lot of it still sounds generic and purely academic? Perhaps my musical palate has been 'spoiled' by mostly listening to all this modern rubbish).

Anne Briggs - The Iron Muse/The Hazards Of Love/The Bird In The Bush/4 Songs
Anne Briggs - Anne Briggs
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come
Anne Briggs - Sing A Song For You

The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Strange Days
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
The Doors - Celebration Of The Lizard (from Albums That Never Were blog)

Gorkys Zygotic Mynci - Bwyd Time

The Incredible String Band - Liquid Acrobat As Regards Air
The Incredible String Band - Earthspan

The Kinks - Percy

The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
The Coral - The Curse Of Love

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley No.2
Elvis Presley - Loving You
Elvis Presley - Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis Presley - King Creole

Lilys - Better Can't Make Your Life Better
Lilys - The 3-Way
Lilys - The Lilys

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey
The Beach Boys - Friends
The Beach Boys - 20/20

Paul Simon - Graceland (Hadn't played this in years, but the time seemed right given its 30th anniversary. I was surprised how vital much of it still sounds, particularly the first 4 or 5 tracks. I'd forgotten how good 'I Know What I Know' is. The Ladysmith Black Mambazo moments perhaps unfairly sound a bit dated to me, probably because back in the 80s they suddenly became the most identifiable sound of 'World Music', and that riff on 'You Can Call Me Al' sounded cheesy even then).
Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints (This is the one I go back to more often. The songs aren't always as strong, but the rhythms and guest musicians are often sublime).

The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man (Silva Screen)
Gheorge Zamfir/Bruce Smeaton - Picnic At Hanging Rock OST

Elgar - The Dream Of Gerontius (Watched Penda's Fen on the BFI's new Blu-Ray release this week and after years of replaying a 3rd generation VHS it felt like watching it for the first time. What a magnificent TV drama it is, and it again prompted me to give Gerontius another listen, the same box set Spencer Banks' character owns in the film. Not usually a fan of the operatic singing style featured in this work, but there are many thrilling moments to hold the interest, even when not treated to a Radiophonic Workshop remix).

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index