Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE
Aug 28, 2016, 11:59
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Speaking as someone who probably spends more time listening to classical music than 'pop' in all its forms (I only ever post a small selection of my classical listens here) I'd be the first to say that not every piece ever written was great, even though I've rarely encountered a bar of Beethoven that didn't move me. What I do find is that classical music requires much more concentration than most other genres to get the most from it. If I'm doing something else, like driving or reading, it becomes background music much more readily than amplified music does. So I endeavour to listen intently to a symphony or quartet, preferably with a miniature score in front of me, and try to immerse myself in it. I'm not saying that always results in musical nirvana, because some works (and performances for that matter) are indeed less great than others, and if I'm low or tired I invariably get less from the music, whatever it is. In short, I have to be in the mood for it! But when my brain engages full on with a piece, there's no greater pleasure on this earth.

I think it's also true that chamber and instrumental music tends to be less viscerally thrilling than orchestral, and thus requires even more attentive listening to fully reveal its colours, sonorities and dynamics. Stick with those Piano Trios, Flash: they're worth it!

I knew you'd be the one to respond to this question. I recall previous fascinating discussions on this forum about the best recordings of various works. With Beethoven's symphonies it tends to be the odd numbered ones that really grab me, but perhaps I need to explore outside the Naxos box-set I have for more exciting interpretations of nos. 2, 4, 6 and 8. I grew up with my parents' Karajan box set, but mostly remember listening to symphonies 1 (because the cartoon series 'Ludwig' took its main theme from there) and 9 (which as a child made me feel simultaneously happy and sad in a way I couldn't explain). Maybe I should try and dig that out again from the same cupboard of classical records its been stored in for the past 40 years, but I'm sure you have your own recommendations.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index