The Tragically Hip - Yer Favourites

Guitar Junior - The Crawl

R.E.M. - Eponymous

Louis Jordan - Just Say Moe!

John Lee Hooker - The Legendary Modern Recordings 1948-1954

John Lee Hooker - Urban Blues

Sun Ra - When Angels Speak of Love

Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers - st

The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear

Cluster & Eno -st

Cluster - Sowiesoso

Cluster - Grosses Wasser

Cluster - Curiosum

Eno Moebius Roedelius - After the Heat

Ennio Morricone - Giu' La Testa

XTC - Oranges & Lemons

Professor Longhair - Mardi Gras in New Orleans 1949-1957

Professor Longhair - New Orleans Piano
garerama
garerama
1111 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 August 2016 CE
Aug 28, 2016, 08:36
The Bevis Frond - New River Dead

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (The Complete Masters) / Ascension / Kula Se Mama / Meditations

Miles Davis - E.S.P / Miles Smiles / Sorcerer / Neferiti / Miles In The Sky / Files De Kilimanjaro / Agharta

Peter Hammill - A Black Box

Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinox / Dream Theory In Malaya: Fourth World Vol 2

Heron Oblivion - S/t

Robyn Hitchcock - S/t / Goodnight Oslo (with The Venus 3)

Paul Gantner - Blows Against The Empire (with Jefferson Starship)/ Baron Von Tollboth & The Chrome Nun (with Grace Slick & David Freiburg)

Pink Fairies - Never Never Land

Psychic TV - Alien Brain Vs Maggot Brain / Thank You / Silver Sundown Machine Vs. Alien Lightning Meat Machine / Greyhounds Of The Future Vs Alien Lightning Meat Machine Pt 2 / L.A. Angel / Snakes

Second Hand - Reality

Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine

Gilli Smyth related - Magic Brother (Gong) / The Owl & The Tree (Mother Gong) / She Made The World - Magenta (Mother Gong) /Electric Shiatsu (Goddess T) / I Am Your Egg (with Daevid Allen & Orlando Allen)

The Sonics - Here Are The Sonics

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees / Secrets Of The Beehive

Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung

Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks / Saturns Pattern

The Who - Quadrophenia

The Yardbirds - Little Games

Young Marble Giants - Live At The Hurrah

V/A - Mojo Presents ... The Next Projected Sound Of 2016
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Aug 28, 2016, 10:53
Elvis Presley 'Way Down in the Jungle Room'
Tom Verlaine 'Dreamtime' and 'Cover'
Julian Cope '20 Mothers'
Slade 'Slade in Flame'
Kevin Ayers 'Last Show in the Appearance Business'
Swell Maps 'Jane From Occupied Europe'
The Red Crayola 'The Parable of Arable Land'
Abba 'Abba'
Santana 'Inner Secrets'
David Bowie 'Lodger'
The Dolphin Brothers 'Catch the Fall'
Ian Gillan & Roger Glover 'Accidentally On Purpose'
Aerosmith 'Get Your Wings'
OM 'Rautionaha'
Stephan Micus 'East of the Night'
Brahms: Clarinet Sonatas Op.120 (Thea King/Clifford Benson)
Brahms: Piano Concerto no.1 (Paul Lewis/Swedish RSO/Daniel Harding)
Brahms: Symphony no.1 (Berlin PO/Karl Boehm)
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2016, 10:56
Aug 28, 2016, 10:56
Beethoven - Piano Trios 1-6 (Decided to investigate an area of LVB's oeuvre I hadn't tried yet, but these only occasionally grabbed me. Does anyone else find that despite having been brought up appreciating and loving many great works of classical music, a lot of it still sounds generic and purely academic? Perhaps my musical palate has been 'spoiled' by mostly listening to all this modern rubbish).

Anne Briggs - The Iron Muse/The Hazards Of Love/The Bird In The Bush/4 Songs
Anne Briggs - Anne Briggs
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come
Anne Briggs - Sing A Song For You

The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Strange Days
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
The Doors - Celebration Of The Lizard (from Albums That Never Were blog)

Gorkys Zygotic Mynci - Bwyd Time

The Incredible String Band - Liquid Acrobat As Regards Air
The Incredible String Band - Earthspan

The Kinks - Percy

The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
The Coral - The Curse Of Love

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley No.2
Elvis Presley - Loving You
Elvis Presley - Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis Presley - King Creole

Lilys - Better Can't Make Your Life Better
Lilys - The 3-Way
Lilys - The Lilys

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey
The Beach Boys - Friends
The Beach Boys - 20/20

Paul Simon - Graceland (Hadn't played this in years, but the time seemed right given its 30th anniversary. I was surprised how vital much of it still sounds, particularly the first 4 or 5 tracks. I'd forgotten how good 'I Know What I Know' is. The Ladysmith Black Mambazo moments perhaps unfairly sound a bit dated to me, probably because back in the 80s they suddenly became the most identifiable sound of 'World Music', and that riff on 'You Can Call Me Al' sounded cheesy even then).
Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints (This is the one I go back to more often. The songs aren't always as strong, but the rhythms and guest musicians are often sublime).

The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man (Silva Screen)
Gheorge Zamfir/Bruce Smeaton - Picnic At Hanging Rock OST

Elgar - The Dream Of Gerontius (Watched Penda's Fen on the BFI's new Blu-Ray release this week and after years of replaying a 3rd generation VHS it felt like watching it for the first time. What a magnificent TV drama it is, and it again prompted me to give Gerontius another listen, the same box set Spencer Banks' character owns in the film. Not usually a fan of the operatic singing style featured in this work, but there are many thrilling moments to hold the interest, even when not treated to a Radiophonic Workshop remix).

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2016, 11:16
Aug 28, 2016, 11:15
Tangerine Dream - Atem / Zeit / Encore

Edgar Froese - Aqua

Bong - Bethmoora / Idle Days on the Yann / Stoner Rock / We Are, We Were and We Will Have been

Johnny Cash - Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

Burzum - Fallen

Goat - I Sing in Silence

The Byrds - (Untitled)/(Unissued)

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Bad Guys - Bad Guynaecology
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2016, 11:41
Aug 28, 2016, 11:34
Speaking as someone who probably spends more time listening to classical music than 'pop' in all its forms (I only ever post a small selection of my classical listens here) I'd be the first to say that not every piece ever written was great, even though I've rarely encountered a bar of Beethoven that didn't move me. What I do find is that classical music requires much more concentration than most other genres to get the most from it. If I'm doing something else, like driving or reading, it becomes background music much more readily than amplified music does. So I endeavour to listen intently to a symphony or quartet, preferably with a miniature score in front of me, and try to immerse myself in it. I'm not saying that always results in musical nirvana, because some works (and performances for that matter) are indeed less great than others, and if I'm low or tired I invariably get less from the music, whatever it is. In short, I have to be in the mood for it! But when my brain engages full on with a piece, there's no greater pleasure on this earth.

I think it's also true that chamber and instrumental music tends to be less viscerally thrilling than orchestral, and thus requires even more attentive listening to fully reveal its colours, sonorities and dynamics. Stick with those Piano Trios, Flash: they're worth it!
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Aug 28, 2016, 11:59
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Speaking as someone who probably spends more time listening to classical music than 'pop' in all its forms (I only ever post a small selection of my classical listens here) I'd be the first to say that not every piece ever written was great, even though I've rarely encountered a bar of Beethoven that didn't move me. What I do find is that classical music requires much more concentration than most other genres to get the most from it. If I'm doing something else, like driving or reading, it becomes background music much more readily than amplified music does. So I endeavour to listen intently to a symphony or quartet, preferably with a miniature score in front of me, and try to immerse myself in it. I'm not saying that always results in musical nirvana, because some works (and performances for that matter) are indeed less great than others, and if I'm low or tired I invariably get less from the music, whatever it is. In short, I have to be in the mood for it! But when my brain engages full on with a piece, there's no greater pleasure on this earth.

I think it's also true that chamber and instrumental music tends to be less viscerally thrilling than orchestral, and thus requires even more attentive listening to fully reveal its colours, sonorities and dynamics. Stick with those Piano Trios, Flash: they're worth it!

I knew you'd be the one to respond to this question. I recall previous fascinating discussions on this forum about the best recordings of various works. With Beethoven's symphonies it tends to be the odd numbered ones that really grab me, but perhaps I need to explore outside the Naxos box-set I have for more exciting interpretations of nos. 2, 4, 6 and 8. I grew up with my parents' Karajan box set, but mostly remember listening to symphonies 1 (because the cartoon series 'Ludwig' took its main theme from there) and 9 (which as a child made me feel simultaneously happy and sad in a way I couldn't explain). Maybe I should try and dig that out again from the same cupboard of classical records its been stored in for the past 40 years, but I'm sure you have your own recommendations.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Aug 28, 2016, 12:30
Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now
Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis
Minnie Riperton - Come To My Garden
Ann Peebles - Original Funk Soul Sister (Best Of)

Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
The Asphodells - Ruled By Power, Destoyed By Lust.

Various - The Sam Records Anthology - Fantastic body of work from the NYC Soul & dance label.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Aug 28, 2016, 13:21
Just Curious,
Who were the performances of your Trio's by?
And its the latter half of those trio's that i get the most from.
Beethovens first period opus's rarely move me to the point of his third period opus works.
His first period works{up till he was about 30} were a period of working within established tradition..ie: The footsteps of Mozart and Haydyn and Handel too.
His Second period works{age 30 thru about opus 90 or so} are where he set out to and acomplished, finding his own path...a miracle in music with no real precedent, before or after.
His third period {opus 90 thru to demise} are for me his most profound works...the 9th, the final quartets, the final sonatas,Archduke trio, The Missa..the final cello sonatas..
Those are his works that i keep returning to.
If i had to give anyone advice on how to aproach Beethoven, it would be to investigate his works in reverse opus# order, and starting with his smaller forms and working up to the symphanies.
The slow movements of the the Hammerclavier sonata{opus106}{Solomon} and the Emperor concerto{opus73}{Rudolf Serkin/Bruno Walter} both moved me profoundly recently.
Quite often it's the Artist performance and recording ambiance that makes it for me. Generally speaking, i prefer older recorded performances too...
1950's or earlier...
Altho i have to say that anything Martha Argerich plays on piano is just stunning as more recent and still alive artists are concerned.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Aug 28, 2016, 16:33
Le Groupe de Six - Selected Works 1915-1945

Cabaret Voltaire - 74-76
Harmonia & Eno - Tracks and Traces
The Jam - Peel Session 2.5.1977
Buzzcocks - Peel Session 19.9.1977
Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Rock'n'Roll With The Modern Lovers
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine