Joy Division and the uncanny in music

67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 18, 2015, 21:16
I loved Japan when they were around, I know they were seen as a low rent Roxy, but I liked them better than Roxy. After they broke up, I kinda fell out of love with them for some reason, then about 10 years ago, I started buying up their albums again and fell in love all over again.

Mind you, I'd kept abreast of David Sylvian's career, and enjoyed a lot of his stuff. Then 'Secrets of the Beehive' came out almost alongside 'Plight and Premonition' both records absolutely blew me away (as well as soundtracking a rather brief but intense love affair. Was like being in the movie Performance or something, but without the rock star chic-ery).
Ahh, youth, where did it go!
Still got a massive soft spot fer ole' Dave, even though he's always just on the edge of disappearing up his own hole a lot of the time.

Another odd single/album from the same year as 'Ghosts' was 'Flowers of Romance' by PiL. Still adore the other worldly strangeness that record, it was totally unlike anything else in the charts at the time, and set off my love affair with PiL (well up to the 'album,' cassette' 'CD' or whatever format your 'white/blue stripe album got called).
On the single, John's vocals and their weird plaintive wailing, the insistent and sinister John Cale-sque eastern tinged violin drone/refrain, A bizarre sax solo which John allegedly played (even tho he couldn#'t play it) and the simple Mo Tucker/ cardboard box tribal drums. The cover is to die for as well, Lydon staring into some weird gothy oval spider be-webbed mirror, all in super saturated colour. Still think it's my fav' Lydon photo. I developed a mad crush on Jeanette Lee, the super cute lady on the LP cover (probably why I always had the hots for goth girls back then :)

Here's a great Seth Man HH review of the 'Flowers' album...spot on.
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/public-image-limited-the-flowers-of-romance

And who could forget the legendary TOTP appearance for the Flowers single... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_0bBGjL70
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index