67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Mar 04, 2015, 01:04
Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 04, 2015, 00:22
Probably heresy to say this on HH, but I got into the Bunnymen waaaay before Teardrop Explodes. Also, If I'm honest, for me, those early Bunnymen albums eclipse everything the Teardrops did after kilimanjaro.

Honestly, those first 4 Bunnymen albums are apsolute diamonds, not a duff track on any of them. No one album really sound like the album previous to it, all have something to recommend them. Crocodiles has a great stripped down post punk, almost garage vibe to them. My mate recons there's a big nod to Television, but I couldn't say, as I never really rated Television.

Heaven up Here has gorgeous dreamy guitars, makes me think of endless horizons and wide open vistas. U2 really stole theuy're thunder re: the sound they later adopted.

Porcupine isn't the easiest album to get into initially, but has two killer singles in 'Back Of Love' and 'The Cutter', and if you pick up the CD, the non album 'Never Stop' is included.

Ocean Rain is where they realy embraced pop bigtime. Huge orchestral arrangements and an epic single in the form of 'The Killing Moon'. Will is still digging out those epic guitar lines, and McCulloch's lyrics mine a deftness they never recovered on later albums.

As with all good bands, the single B-Sides are almost as good as the A-Sides.
Sounds fatuous, but it still amazes me that when I hear McCulloch speak, that he could turn out such lyrical poetry. I find it hard to reconsile the consumate scouser he is, with the beautiful songs he writes. And Will Sergeants guitar is always a pleaseure to listen to. De freitas and Les are totally locked in as a rhythm section. I just love everything about those early 80's recordings.

Nice interview with Les Patterson here.
http://www.incendiarymag.com/interviews/echothebunnymen/incendiary_interview_les_pattinson_part_1
http://www.incendiarymag.com/interviews/echothebunnymen/incendiary_interview_les_pattinson_part_2
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index