67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 12, 2015, 21:47
Fatalist wrote:

Of course, there are people out there that haven't got this memo, and are making stuff that's both challenging and entertaining, but the chance of some new musical movement coming along that might somehow define the times we live in -early rock, punk, post-punk, synth pop, hardcore, acid house, rave, jungle etc - seems slim to say the least.

(warning, this waffles a bit)...

I think if we want genuinely new sounds, were gonna have to look to other regions of the globe. Places not tied into the 4/4 rhythm, and beholden to traditional instrumentation or Pro tools/DAW's. Plus, I think we need to let the talentless take hold for a while (in the punk/DIY/Lofi sense) and see what comes out of it. In these times of incessant pro-tools/DAW usage, it's too easy to correct the happy accident that could take quite bland musics an a whole different direction.

Here in the West, we're still too busy picking over the debris of the last 50 or so years of music wise. The current slew of underground musics is just to beholden to the past.

Having said all that, as far as I'm concerned, over the last year or two, there's been an immense amount of great music I've purchased, but whilst I've loved it, I can't say any of it has pushed any boundaries for me sonically.

Sliding away from the point somewhat, the nature of the internet (arguably where most of us do our musical discovering these days) it's hard to create a head of steam or a 'movements' in the way the old music press/radio driven scene used to be. The way we listen, consume and search out music has changed radically. Plus, with music being pretty much everywhere 24/7, I feel the 'magic' of music has been watered down, almost to the point of it being a constant background hum. I can't think of a TV show or movie from recent years that has eschewed music for silence, or not used it as a quick pointer to the emotions we should be feeling at a particular point. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me, the medium has become a little diluted and devalued. Yet the irony is, there are probably more bands around these days than at any point I can think of. Cheaper instruments mean there's a great democratisation of music, so maybe something truly inventive is just around the corner.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index