Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Mar 12, 2015, 21:07
Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 12, 2015, 21:06
Monganaut wrote:
Yeah, I read and enjoyed that book. I think when we're stuck in such stultifying times as we have been since 2008 and before, it's inevitable that we all look backwards to more imagined uplifting/better times, and possibly we find it easy to imagine a past that never was.

When we were kids, to paraphrase Jarvis. 'We we're brought up on the space race, and then expected to clean toiets'.

Society as a whole does seem stuck in a perpetual backward gazing cycle.

I think the point he makes that's most salient is that in an age where the pace of living has dramatically accelerated - from our working lives to our personal interactions - our ability to process the genuinely new has diminished. And not just among consumers, but among the creators of music/culture too. Add to this the easy availability online of the entire history of popular (and often unpopular) music ie. easy access to what's safe/familiar/already proven, and you've got the perfect storm conditions for the state of stasis it often feels we're experiencing these days.

Of course, there are people out there that haven't got this memo, and are making stuff that's both challenging and entertaining, but the chance of some new musical movement coming along that might somehow define the times we live in - early rock, punk, post-punk, synth pop, hardcore, acid house, rave, jungle etc - seems slim to say the least.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index