67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2015, 07:27
Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 03, 2015, 07:27
I like the second side of Closer a lot the rest of their output not so much but I know exactly what you mean about their sound and as others have noted it's the production as I haven't heard any live recordings where they came close to that on stage.

What has that effect on me is when non musical elements get introduced (someone else mentioned the clankings on Unknown Pleasures). Rock is littered with examples but looping back to a previous thread, the end of Porcupine Tree's "Even Less" (from Stupid Dream) when the woman starts to read a sting of numbers turns a fairly meat and potatoes modern prog track into something really quite chilling. And it did that to me before I knew anything about the numbers station phenomenon. Doubly so now I know the background.

The sound of the ducks on John Martyn's "Small Hours" has that element but in a completely different way. You are placed in a very specific and different space. That kind of thing is the closest we get to time travel.At least unaided. That's pretty uncanny.

When I was a teenager the "Sonic Attack" section of Space Ritual was that in spades. Seems a bit corny now though I have probably heard it too often.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index